Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Assorted wandering through the back garden images
Lens: Sigma 70 macro ƒ2.8 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My back yard ISO: 100 
Posted By: normhead, 06-29-2014, 10:29 AM

There is new stuff every time I go out, it's just a matter of taking the time to wander out with my camera,

Rasberry flower.

Peoni

Wild Rose

Wild grass seeds.

Views: 793
06-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice series, your backyard plants sure look like mine

How do you like the Sigma 70? I'm undecided between the Sigma 70 and the DFA100. I'd rather have the Pentax for quickshift and WR but the 70mm focal length would suit my needs a bit better.
06-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I quite like the 70 macro...

I'm not sure you need WR for macro, doing macro in the rain sounds miserable.... and like you I wanted something in that focal length. On APC-s 100 is just too telephoto for me. It would be a nice macro for a full frame though.

The lens is heavily corrected, (or possibly just heavy and I seem to get really soft dreamy bokeh with it, but I've never heard anyone complain about the bokeh in a 100 macro.

So my guess is if you're like me you appreciate the 70. It's also super sharp and a very good portrait FL in APS-c.

SO for me those were this issues.

Pros:
super sharp, (used for resolution tests at Imaging Resources becuse it's made in almost every mount out there.)
Great bokeh
Nice FL for portraits.

Cons
Bigger and heavier than most competing lenses.
You can't use the lens cap with the lens hood on, and the lens hood screws on, so at times I have to remove the filter to get the hood off. It's finicky.
No quick shift.

Last edited by normhead; 06-30-2014 at 07:20 AM.
06-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice shots. I especially like the first one - very graceful and sharp.

06-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
Nice shots. I especially like the first one - very graceful and sharp.
Thanks, the wind was blowing, it's a very delicate cane, I took 15 images, and that's the only one that came out sharp... sometimes you just have to know what you're up against, calculate your odds and shoot enough to be sure you get something. Oh, and it was the very last image I took. If I'd stopped at 14, I wouldn't have had an image I could post.
06-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thanks, the wind was blowing, it's a very delicate cane, I took 15 images, and that's the only one that came out sharp... sometimes you just have to know what you're up against, calculate your odds and shoot enough to be sure you get something. Oh, and it was the very last image I took. If I'd stopped at 14, I wouldn't have had an image I could post.
Lovely photos!

That's how I deal with windy macro photography too. Take a bunch and hope something made it into focus. Of course I try my best, but the wind is a capricious beastie.
06-30-2014, 11:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Susinok Quote
Lovely photos!

That's how I deal with windy macro photography too. Take a bunch and hope something made it into focus. Of course I try my best, but the wind is a capricious beastie.
It is for sure... and sometimes you come in and the one that had the most potential, you didn't get a good image, but all the ones you just took because they were there, they all come out perfect.

06-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
Closed Account

very nice set of photos !
07-01-2014, 06:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Michael