Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Why do I rarely use this lens
Posted By: little laker, 05-05-2008, 02:44 PM

I rarely use my Sigma 135 - 400, even though I've gotten several nice photographs with it.

However I snapped it on my K100D the other day, and it hasn't left. Giving me these photographs today.

When I get these sort of images I almost forget why I rarely use it.
Views: 3,037
05-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can see why Stu. I mean it sucks. You can see that. It looks like one of the worst lenses I've ever seen. Judge for yourself, rich colour, nice bokeh for a zoom, quite sharp and not bad weight/size for the length.

Yeah toss it my way and I'll do some further testing...

Last edited by Peter Zack; 05-05-2008 at 06:26 PM.
05-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stu,
You may have nice subject matter to shoot where you are, but you seem to capture life in a beautiful and unique way with your camera.

Looking at these, especially the tulips, just sends shivers down my spine.

Oh, and the lens is good too. I'll fight Peter over it if you're thinking of giving it the flick...
05-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I love that water drop hanging on the underside of the main tulip in the first picture.

Yeah, I'd agree with Peter Zack - that is one crappy lens. You need to get serious and divide the range of 100 to 400mm into several different lenses. That's the only way a true LBA-afflicted photog would see the problem...

But seriously, Sigma certainly do some very nice lenses, and their bokeh in particular is very good for most of them.

Check the bokeh on some of the shots taken with my new Sigma 180mm Macro, on:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/26579-first-efforts-post...0mm-macro.html

Particularly the pics of the bottle brush and the frangipanni down near the bottom.

I only just got the lens a few days ago, and I'm very impressed with it. The bokeh on your 135-400 is really nice too, particularly that first shot. Beautiful. Sigma lenses are really setting their reputation up high, and your shots are more evidence of their quality. Very nicely done Stu

05-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I don't know why you don't use that lens more often, either. I'd say give that piece of junk to me, but several already beat me to it.

Nice shots!
05-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Those are all very nice shots, the blue heron is my favorite!
05-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Stu, I think you need to get another body so that you will use that lens more often. Nuff said.
Gary

05-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

ok ok ok..

Where are your manners???? Sorry boys.. GIRLS FIRST!!!!!!!! Stu, if you really want to get rid of the ugly lens.... I will even pay for the postage!!

Sorry couldn't resist.... If you got rid of the lens I would have hurt you... these pictures are very nice... I really like them..

I think my favorite is the last one... I love the yellow and the background just blends perfectly.. GREAT shots all around..

Thanks for sharin.. Kim
05-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You got a very good first shot there. Almost bringing out the distance and depth to the image. The colour and the lines are all well balanced in the photo.

A great series here, Stu
05-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone

I see that 6 of you are nice enough to take that lens off my hands, and there just happens to be 6 sides to a dice.
So I guess that I'll have to get a dice and roll it

There's a good chance that I'll take it off tomorrow, and either screw on my Super Takumar 300mm F4 or my Zeiss 200mm f2.8. Just to see what they can do
05-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #11
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Thank you everyone

I see that 6 of you are nice enough to take that lens off my hands, and there just happens to be 6 sides to a dice.
So I guess that I'll have to get a dice and roll it

There's a good chance that I'll take it off tomorrow, and either screw on my Super Takumar 300mm F4 or my Zeiss 200mm f2.8. Just to see what they can do
Be careful, you might end up with a s**tload of bodies and lenses and a beach rolly to carry them round in. You'll have so many bodies and lenses to choose from that the only way to take a picture is with your point and shoot.
05-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice shots, Stu. I have the same lens, and to be honest, I am the same, dont put it on the camera near enough.
I feel you may just inspired me to rethink a bit and get that lens out a bit more.
05-06-2008, 12:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know that you'll love it once again Bruce,

Whenever anyones up visiting me that's probably the first lens they should borrow for some of the wildlife.
I can almost promise them sweet photographs with it, and I'll never miss it.

I took this photo in the fall with the same lens, however I don't recall ever posting it anywhere.