Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Illustrations
Posted By: regken, 05-05-2008, 03:19 PM

I've been trying to develop my own style not only in composition but also in post processing. Here are some of my latest attempts.

Last edited by regken; 05-21-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Views: 3,660
05-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can see where you're going with this and it might be a good thing for you. I suppose it would help to know in what context you are developing your own style? Meaning that it's pretty difficult to do that in the global context, but if you want to differentiate yourself from local photographers selling their wares in Bangor then you may have a better shot at it.

These look like HDR images to me at first glance. There is room for technical improvement. For example the dark areas under the covered bridge show a lot of noise which would not have been necessary if there was a shot to cover that range of exposure.

The super-saturated colours and relatively "flat" look bring to mind old photos even if the rest of the rendering is quite unlike that.

The second shot, of the wooden dam structure, has the look most like an "illustration" and is my favourite. The last photo looks half realistic and half in your super-saturated illustration world. As a result it has a nice tension from the schizoid aesthetic. Others might not get a kick out of that.

If you like the results and your market likes it I'd say you're on to something.
05-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

it looks a lot like a very good drawing, is that what you're going for in the PP?
05-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

If you like the results and your market likes it I'd say you're on to something.
Thanks for the comments. I'm not looking to sell anything, just enjoying the hobby. It's fun playing in Lightroom and hope to refine "MY" look. When printed on Metallic paper in the 11 X14 size the noise you mentioned doesn't even show up.

Thanks again,
Ken

05-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
it looks a lot like a very good drawing, is that what you're going for in the PP?
Kind of. More of a painting than a photograph. A little abstract? I'm trying to make the image express more of the emotion I saw when looking at the scene at the expense of being a technically correct photo.
05-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #6

I kind of like them. (Certainly like them better than some of the stuff I was looking through at the local gallary a week or so ago.)

What might be kind of interesting would be to see one of your originals (whichever is most appropriate) along with the HDR version.

Lynn
05-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lynn Quote
What might be kind of interesting would be to see one of your originals (whichever is most appropriate) along with the HDR version.

Lynn
I added the original of the dam to the first post.

05-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
Damn Brit

I really like them, good start, I just think they might be a little over done, especially the blue skies.
05-06-2008, 05:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

I appreciate all of your comments. It is certainly a work in progress. I plan on tweaking this approach and hope it will result in something unique to me.

Thanks,

Ken
05-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Title says it all

I think it is great that you are developing a style. I think the title of your post states your intention quite clearly "illustration". I also think that you did a great job at it. I enjoy a lot of the commercial images that were created in the 50's as it was the start of this type of artwork. Not every photo can be turned into a successful illustration. You need a keen eye to see the potential and end result of each and every shot. I would say that you have the eye. I find that most photographers are recorders. They see, they capture, the reproduce. Others are explorers, they explore and find new ways to look at something or say something. The last group are artists, they bring something to the table that would never exist otherwise, imagination with just enough reality to keep it from floating away. I think you would fall somewhere between the last two classifications (great place to be).
Keep up the good work, and post often. I will be keeping a keen eye out for you work.
05-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #11

Personally I like #3 the interior of the covered bridge it really hits me with a 70's saturated color quality. I think the greens in the back are little too much but really like the colors of the wood. I can almost image a man in bright red and black check flannel shirt selling me buckwhet pancake mix or something. I just get a really retro feeling from that one.

Thanks.
05-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
I think it is great that you are developing a style. I think the title of your post states your intention quite clearly "illustration". I also think that you did a great job at it. I enjoy a lot of the commercial images that were created in the 50's as it was the start of this type of artwork. Not every photo can be turned into a successful illustration. You need a keen eye to see the potential and end result of each and every shot. I would say that you have the eye. I find that most photographers are recorders. They see, they capture, the reproduce. Others are explorers, they explore and find new ways to look at something or say something. The last group are artists, they bring something to the table that would never exist otherwise, imagination with just enough reality to keep it from floating away. I think you would fall somewhere between the last two classifications (great place to be).
Keep up the good work, and post often. I will be keeping a keen eye out for you work.
I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement. Now that I have started doing this in PP I find myself looking at things to see if they would make a good subject. It has taken my appreciation of this hobby to a new level.

Thanks,

Ken
05-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
red and black flannel shirt in Maine

QuoteOriginally posted by c.r.brown Quote
Personally I like #3 the interior of the covered bridge it really hits me with a 70's saturated color quality. I think the greens in the back are little too much but really like the colors of the wood. I can almost image a man in bright red and black check flannel shirt selling me buckwhet pancake mix or something. I just get a really retro feeling from that one.

Thanks.
That is the uniform of the day up here. The local L.L.Bean outlet stores have them by the rack.
I'm glad it brought that feeling to you. Thanks for the comment on the green. I'll go back and see if it looks better a little less saturated. That's one of the fun things about this style, I don't feel tied to any pre set norms.

Thanks,

Ken
05-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
Inactive Account

i like the 1st and 3rd. would be interested to see you apply this style to a non-wooden building... something modern?
05-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Oh, that's not for me. I'd tell you to hold back on that HDR effect... it's kind of insipid.

Simple dodge & burn and some color/light layering can give surprising results. I'm with you on looking for a personal style, go for it!