Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Infamous Fog
Lens: FA 77mm Camera: K-5 Photo Location: San Francisco, CA ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: pixie, 07-05-2014, 11:58 PM

The fog rolls in everyday now, gave it a try tonight handheld. Tripod work should yield better results but it's so windy my lightweight one won't cut it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 753
07-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
One more, this time I tried to HDR three fast shutter shots. But I can't nail it, What am I doing wrong? Thanks for possible suggestions/help.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot. They both look pretty sharp to me, but if you're still not satisfied you could always increase ISO way up, to 800 at least, to get faster shutter speeds. I find I can get a pretty good result up to 3200 as long as I use noise suppression software in the workflow. When you say you can't nail it, what do you mean? What kind of look are you going after?
07-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Jerry, I would like to get more detail in the streets. The fog rendering looks decent to me but the streets seem plain, not enough contrast. I believe I am getting enough exposure even at the low ISO. I guess the lighting is just beyond me....

07-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a tough assignment, given all the backlighting the fog is throwing off. The only thing I could think off is to leave the tripod there for a while until after the fog clears, grab another more brightly lit shot, and then mask out the original streets. But this could easily end up looking too artificial. Or maybe extend the range of your brackets going into the HDR? Maybe up to +3 EV… but also likely to look funky if not done carefully.
07-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You're right, tough cookie there. I tried your second suggestion with -2.0/+2.0 brackets and it did look too fake. I have not tried lightening up the streets, I thought the borderline between fog and no fog was too indefinite. I give it a shot. Thank you.