Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
World Surfing Champs - Ballito, South Africa
Posted By: Neville, 07-06-2014, 09:09 AM

Views: 1,837
07-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice action captures. Seems a bit bizarre that this is happening at same time as WC is experiencing worst storm and cold of the season.

I presume these are FA*300. Looks lovely and sharp. Nice glass from the look of images.
07-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Awesome shooting, if they were mine I'd pick a few favourites and work in post process to perfect the colours. They're all a bit flat and muted right now, except for the podium images, but what you have to work with is amazing.... there has to be a least 5 or 6 sellable prints in there, probably more. Just as an interest shot, it's really cool you caught the camera person in shot 7. I'd love to see the image they took. Great shooting.
07-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Very nice action captures. Seems a bit bizarre that this is happening at same time as WC is experiencing worst storm and cold of the season.

I presume these are FA*300. Looks lovely and sharp. Nice glass from the look of images.
Thanks KevinR. The weather was not the greatest, very cold and heavy clouds.

I shot with my FA*300mm F4.5 prime.

---------- Post added 07-06-14 at 06:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Awesome shooting, if they were mine I'd pick a few favourites and work in post process to perfect the colours. They're all a bit flat and muted right now, except for the podium images, but what you have to work with is amazing.... there has to be a least 5 or 6 sellable prints in there, probably more. Just as an interest shot, it's really cool you caught the camera person in shot 7. I'd love to see the image they took. Great shooting.
Thanks normhead. The light and overcast conditions made it quite challenging, but I was pleased with the way they came out.

07-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Closed Account

Superb action shots !
07-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Excellent action shots. What place dd the Bird finish in ?
07-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Superb action shots !
Thanks Michael.

---------- Post added 07-06-14 at 09:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Excellent action shots. What place dd the Bird finish in ?
Thanks daacon. He wasn't the early bird, but I think he got the worm at least!

07-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote
Thanks Michael.

---------- Post added 07-06-14 at 09:21 PM ----------

Thanks daacon. He wasn't the early bird, but I think he got the worm at least!
Th early bird only gets the early worm...
07-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Excellent shots! I really enjoyed scrolling through these, as an ex-surf dude myself (but I'm not telling how many decades ago!). You got some really great ones in here that should sell. Nice work.
07-06-2014, 10:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Excellent shots! I really enjoyed scrolling through these, as an ex-surf dude myself (but I'm not telling how many decades ago!). You got some really great ones in here that should sell. Nice work.
Thanks GeoJerry!
07-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

There are definitely a few keepers here. I am friends with some very well known surf photographers....I lived on the North Shore of Oahu for about 4 years... so this makes me miss 'home'!!! It definitely makes me miss catching some nice waves...

I agree with Norm on the colors... but it is what it is. It can still be worked with I think.

Do you mind sharing about what your ISO was and what your shutter speed was? (Generally).

http://www.mrpricepro.com/Home.aspx

Check out the photo section. Pretty cool.

Last edited by alamo5000; 07-07-2014 at 09:31 PM.
07-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
There are definitely a few keepers here. I am friends with some very well known surf photographers....I lived on the North Shore of Oahu for about 4 years... so this makes me miss 'home'!!! It definitely makes me miss catching some nice waves...

I agree with Norm on the colors... but it is what it is. It can still be worked with I think.

Do you mind sharing about what your ISO was and what your shutter speed was? (Generally).
Thanks for your comments alamo5000!

If you click on any of the images, you will be taken to my flickr page where you can view the settings. All the images were taken at 1/2000 secs and the ISO was in the region of 1000, so I reduced the noise slightly in Lightroom.

I would love to see what some of you guys can do with my RAW images. Let me know which images are "keepers" and I will upload the RAW files. Bear in mind that most of the shots were cropped quite heavily.
07-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Thanks for your comments alamo5000!

If you click on any of the images, you will be taken to my flickr page where you can view the settings. All the images were taken at 1/2000 secs and the ISO was in the region of 1000, so I reduced the noise slightly in Lightroom.

I would love to see what some of you guys can do with my RAW images. Let me know which images are "keepers" and I will upload the RAW files. Bear in mind that most of the shots were cropped quite heavily.
Which day of the contest did you do your shooting?

I am trying but I am unable to get the file info? What was your aperture (generally)?
07-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Which day of the contest did you do your shooting?

I am trying but I am unable to get the file info? What was your aperture (generally)?
It was on Day 7, the final day.

My aperture was set on f/5 throughout.

Last edited by Neville; 07-07-2014 at 10:15 PM.
07-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #15
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 07-08-14 at 12:05 AM ----------

It was on Day 6, the final day.

My aperture was set on f/5 throughout.
I can ask what the pros do, but they are very very shy to reveal secrets. If I was going to try this in that venue I would probably try to get a longer lens or a teleconverter. Shoot about f4 and bump up your ISO and shutter speed but keeping in mind that you probably want to over expose just a little and then correct in post processing.

With the RAW images though you can definitely make the colors and the water pop a lot more... Overall though there are some good 'surf scene' shots here... for sure.

Last edited by alamo5000; 07-07-2014 at 10:06 PM.