Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Airplane Shots
Lens: Pentax DA 35 mm, Sigma 8-16 mm Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Somewhere over Northern Arizona 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 07-06-2014, 10:56 PM

I'm not a big fan of pictures taken from commercial jet windows, but I'll keep trying when flying over nice country. In this case I was flying west over southern Utah and northern Arizona and caught a few that worked out OK. But I wanted to post these to see if anyone else has had much luck in shooting from planes. Any tricks or tips? They almost always seem to look washed out or have unnatural colors.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   

Views: 852
07-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not too bad. Great colour. I find first get lucky with clean windows. If you are behind the wings you get heat effect from the jets unless they are tail mounted. I tend to go for clouds, which work best with morning or afternoon flights. For ground shots lower is better except when you have great scenes as you did.
07-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Not too bad. Great colour. I find first get lucky with clean windows. If you are behind the wings you get heat effect from the jets unless they are tail mounted. I tend to go for clouds, which work best with morning or afternoon flights. For ground shots lower is better except when you have great scenes as you did.
Thanks for the pointer on the wings. I was behind the engines so if I want to try this again I'll make a point to get a seat in front of the wings.
07-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Thanks for the pointer on the wings. I was behind the engines so if I want to try this again I'll make a point to get a seat in front of the wings.
Or fly business class.