Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Gettysburg - 2014 Part 5
Posted By: gjtoth, 07-09-2014, 05:47 PM

Comin' down to the end, folks!

Of course, when one thinks of the American Civil War, one thinks, "cavalry" (NOT calvary... that's WAY different! ) As was explained early, reenactor attendance was WAY down. But, the area where it was WAY WAY down was cavalry. Still the very few that showed up (about 15-18 total) did a fine job.

The importance of cavalry is highly over-rated and over-played by Hollywood. While it WAS important, it was the infantry, the foot soldier, that did the vast majority of the fighting since many of the battles took place in areas that they could not maneuver a horse in. The cavalry was mainly used to guard the flanks of the line and to act as scouts/reconnaissance for the main armies or to counter enemy cavalry units. A lot of their action was done as dismounted cavalry. The way Hollywood portrays them as charging through main lines of battle was VERY rare. They came to fame after Gettysburg due, in part, to one of the Union's youngest brigadier generals, George Armstrong Custer. By Gettysburg, the cavalry's main choice for weaponry was the repeating carbine (Henry's or Spencer). Revolvers were next on the list. And, as a last resort, sabers. Like bayonets, sabers were just not used that much. Only two percent of all casualties during the war were attributed to "bladed or edged" weapons. Here comes the cavalry!

General's courier

This is how a cavalry reenactor "dies". :W:

Eat lead, Johnny!

Since we're showing horses, these beauties are Percherons pulling a Confederate ambulance.

And, another one

It was pretty hot and even horses are not immune to overheating. This guy went down in the heat of battle with a VERY surprised general. Almost immediately, one of the ambulances was hauling out cold water by the 5-gallon container and bales of straw. It took them a while to get him cooled down enough so he'd stand on his own. Even then, he was a little wobbly. They slowly walked him off the field to applause from the spectators.

Views: 909
07-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series, well shot. There is a saying in military circles that backs up your statement about the foot soldier. Words to the effect of "The war isn't won until the ground is taken." The only way to take the ground is by foot soldier. It is still true today.
07-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Enjoyed all your threads of Gettysburg. I was there a few years back - only one or two re-enactors on Little Round Top.
07-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Great series, well shot. There is a saying in military circles that backs up your statement about the foot soldier. Words to the effect of "The war isn't won until the ground is taken." The only way to take the ground is by foot soldier. It is still true today.
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Enjoyed all your threads of Gettysburg. I was there a few years back - only one or two re-enactors on Little Round Top.
Thanks! The actors on Roundtop and other areas on the actual battlefield are volunteers for the NPS. If you go on the anniversary of most battles, there is usual some sort of battle/skirmish reenactment. For instance, I'm contemplating going to the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Cedar Creek this fall. Being that it's an anniversary divisible by 5, the turn-out should be pretty good. Most of the off-years have reenactments but they tend to be sparsely attended by the reenactors because of the expense involved.

07-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gary, I looked at the whole series and really enjoyed it, must have been fun shooting it. To put on a show like this must take a lot of time and surely doesn't come cheap. Thanks for posting them.
07-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Gary, I looked at the whole series and really enjoyed it, must have been fun shooting it. To put on a show like this must take a lot of time and surely doesn't come cheap. Thanks for posting them.
Many thanks, Heinrich. If you would like to see the whole lot and more, you can visit http://goo.gl/hZGNLn
07-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #7

Great series!
My great great grandfather fought with the 20th NY and was wounded at Gettysburg (took a musket ball to the face) and survived. My father has his Springfield trapdoor rifle and my Aunt has his Gettysburg reunion medal. He was one of four brothers to have fought in the Civil War. Two were killed and he was wounded.

07-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots. One of these days I might make it there.
07-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Judd Quote
Great series!
My great great grandfather fought with the 20th NY and was wounded at Gettysburg (took a musket ball to the face) and survived. My father has his Springfield trapdoor rifle and my Aunt has his Gettysburg reunion medal. He was one of four brothers to have fought in the Civil War. Two were killed and he was wounded.
Looks like he was in most of the big ones! Taking a ball to the face... he was EXTREMELY lucky to survive. Jehiel Judd actually reenlisted after he recovered from his wound and made sergeant. One tough and resilient cookie! I'm sure you're quite proud of him. I certainly would be.

---------- Post added 07-11-14 at 10:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Nice shots. One of these days I might make it there.
Many thanks. I used to say that a LOT. Finally, I made it a priority to attend the 150th Anniversary. I'm so glad I did. Visiting most any of the National Military Parks will put a lump in your throat. But Gettysburg is especially emotional. It's not unusual to see men overcome with emotion as they visit the battlegrounds.

Last edited by gjtoth; 07-11-2014 at 07:11 PM.
07-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #10

Gettysburg is definitely an emotional visit. One can only imagine the emotions felt at the reunions way back when.

Jehiel actually returned to field service, made second lieutenant, and left the Union Army in 1866. He then went to Nebraska where he lived until about 1890, when he returned to NY. One funny aside is that his wife Sarah's features remain easily recognizable in many members of my family yet.