Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Let's see your Grafitti
Posted By: Lowell Goudge, 05-06-2008, 06:44 AM

After Ben's posting of the wall, I thought it would be great to see everyone's grafitti

Here is a start.

Signa 10-20 image was in a laneway so it was streightened in PSP X2 and cropped.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 04-04-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Views: 8,147
05-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
DV,

I appreciate the art but was wondering what the legal aspects of this activity is. Here in the states it is illegal (yeah, right! ) and artist's caught are dealt with in one way or another.

How do the authorities and community view these activities?

Stephen
Well its certainly a touchy subject as far as the media influenced public goes. Street art or graffiti as it is more commonly referred to, is considered to be the defacement of public or private property. The local people from the outer suburbs of Melbourne stereotype the notion that it is anti-social behaviour and leads to bigger problems, like stealing, loitering and anything else that is illegal in this day and age,, to me,making the unsightly and already un-maintained side street walls into works of art is something positive. If someone feels the need to vent their feelings and thoughts through a paint can, then I say let them… the problem with this is simple.. its knowing where to draw the line.. whats classed as an improvement on something and whats considered a defacement of something. Everyone has their own opinion on street art, and my opinion is this….. graffing illegally on walls is a crime, plain and simple. When I was younger I used to do it a lot, without giving a single thought toward the repercussions , and I was arrested a few times because of it. I can look back now and realize how selfish, offensive and self absorbed I was, and I have learnt from it,. These days I paint on ‘council walls’. These are dedicated walls which the council fund for people who feel the need to paint. But in a controlled environment. Its almost like a workshop. We teach people how to paint and we teach them different techniques and styles. Naturally, ‘tagging’ is done by a lot of kids who spend a lot of their time out on the street . scribbling random crap on walls and basically being pests. Theres no art or skill in random tags in my opinion, - all it demonstrates is a lack of creativity and the desire to rebel against society and the government. What we try to do is to show these kids that there is a vent for their frustrations,… its just knowing when and where to do it..and doing it on random walls and private property, is certainly not the place to do it..
if the local councils and the community step up a level and recognize this, then mayb their wudnt be as much anti-social behaviour going on in our streets,.. graffiti is only a small percentage of the bigger problem, however it is still a problem to address ,none the less.

End of the day.. most people cant appreciate the work involved in street art,, and most people who slap up the art, don’t appreciate being labeled as a criminal. the police share a 0 tolerance in regards to getting caught in the act and more often than not you will be held under arrest. thats the way it should be might i add!
The outcome isn’t going to change, and street art will always be here. The day that the government stops wasting money on shitty ‘art sculptures’ worth tens of thousands of dollars, is the day that we will stop turning un-maintained,grotesque,sleezy alleyways into works of art,.. and we all know that is never going to happen…

Last edited by distorted_vision; 05-07-2008 at 08:27 PM.
05-08-2008, 03:04 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Too often the knee-jerk response against graffiti is merely part of society's general disregard for young people and their interests. Rather than content themselves with the programme ("Twitch their hips, live on sedatives, consume themselves on the terraces of football stadia and die", in the immortal words of Quentin Crisp) many prefer to express themselves visually and brighten up a drab industrial world through street art. Or get some exercise and practice their chops by skateboarding. Or just hang out together learning social skills. All of these are frowned upon.

Much better to consume, consume, consume and learn one's place in the capitalist system.

I am sure that graffiti, even the most simple and uninteresting tagging, is merely a way for a disenfranchised segment of society to take back part of the environment they live in, which seems otherwise impervious to their mark. Why let big corporations have all the fun?
05-08-2008, 03:41 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Too often the knee-jerk response against graffiti is merely part of society's general disregard for young people and their interests. Rather than content themselves with the programme ("Twitch their hips, live on sedatives, consume themselves on the terraces of football stadia and die", in the immortal words of Quentin Crisp) many prefer to express themselves visually and brighten up a drab industrial world through street art. Or get some exercise and practice their chops by skateboarding. Or just hang out together learning social skills. All of these are frowned upon.

Much better to consume, consume, consume and learn one's place in the capitalist system.

I am sure that graffiti, even the most simple and uninteresting tagging, is merely a way for a disenfranchised segment of society to take back part of the environment they live in, which seems otherwise impervious to their mark. Why let big corporations have all the fun?
well said.. its acceptable for the big corporate wigs to slap unsightly advertisments at every given chance isnt it, bus shelters,billboards,trams, buses,trains,taxis,trucks,newspapers,magazines,food products etc etc . the list goes on .. we are all force fed absolute garbage and everyone accepts it as the norm.
05-08-2008, 03:49 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
its acceptable for the big corporate wigs to slap unsightly advertisments at every given chance isnt it, bus shelters,billboards,trams, buses,trains,taxis,trucks,newspapers,magazines,food products etc etc . the list goes on .. we are all force fed absolute garbage and everyone accepts it as the norm.
A year ago I blogged what happened when São Paulo banned outdoor billboards. Check out the Theatre Of Noise. There is a link there to some amazing photos!

Yes, it can happen folks... just very unlikely in the Northern hemisphere.

05-08-2008, 05:05 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I was going to say 'My, we've got a lot of cool street art in Aus.' but what a cool discussion it's turned into. Thanks guys
05-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #36
mfc

[

I am sure that graffiti, even the most simple and uninteresting tagging, is merely a way for a disenfranchised segment of society to take back part of the environment they live in, which seems otherwise impervious to their mark. Why let big corporations have all the fun?[/QUOTE]

i think grahitti's major pr problem is that those{specificaly the untalented} take back a part of the environment that someone else lives in!!...im of to work ,but ill take a pic of a clients house on my rounds to make my point.
also lets face it, these days good graffiti art is advertising, around here you just have to look across the street ,one side a payed peice . { have a look at my previous post...these 2 are literaly acrodss the street from each other,one comercial one not so}
free self promotion for designers/artists.
ps ,theres a stencil festival on here atm.
05-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I had first thought of this thread last november while driving through the outskirts of milan italy, where I was a long stretch of wall "decorated"

It reminded me of th eshots I took a year ago, one of which I posted to start this off.

I got reminded of the Idea when I saw Ben's posting.

I did not imagine it would turn into a debate as it has. WHile grafiti is in some forms defacing of property, there are other forms, such as the wakk I posted, and as some others have, which are allowed to exist. They are "playgrounds" for artists.

That is what I was looking for, so please spare the debate, and let's see works of "art" with the photographer's view of it.

05-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Works of art without the debate? Would be pretty boring art then.
05-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Works of art without the debate? Would be pretty boring art then.
agreed. theres nothing wrong with this thread imo; i think its very interesting to see peoples oppinions from across the world.
05-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #40
Veteran Member

contrasting graffiti from Limerick

faded political slogan:

colourful street art:
05-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DV,

Thank you for taking the time to express your insightful and interesting view on this form of art. I certainly feel more enlightened and educated and I am glad to know that you are not in the habit (currently ) of violating the law with your expression.

thanks,

Stephen
05-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
DV,

Thank you for taking the time to express your insightful and interesting view on this form of art. I certainly feel more enlightened and educated and I am glad to know that you are not in the habit (currently ) of violating the law with your expression.

thanks,

Stephen

hey steven,
youre very welcome mate.. im very much legit these days...theres a time and a place for everything..:ugh:

cheers,
kevin
05-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #43
Veteran Member

This gives me an idea for a shoot today. It will be fun, Thanks!
Oren
05-10-2008, 06:30 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Good idea .. here is one I like Edmonton , Alberta

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2023/2221248325_1c1fc405bc_o.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]
05-10-2008, 04:33 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Good idea .. here is one I like Edmonton , Alberta

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2023/2221248325_1c1fc405bc_o.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]
dave

glad to see you have not lost your beloved 10-17