Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First Macro Post
Posted By: harmonica2, 07-13-2014, 10:48 AM

Here's my first Macro shot that I've posted - a grasshopper that was climbing on my basil plant this morning. I used a Tamron 90 and the onboard flash of my K5iis. I'd love to have a ring flash for more even lighting.
I did post production on (sigh) Aperture. Mainly contrast, definition, blackpoint, and exposure correction. Maybe some vignette.

Please let me know what you guys think, and how I might improve my Macro shots!

Last edited by harmonica2; 07-13-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Views: 800
07-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks really good! The only real feedback is that I find the composition a bit heavy to the left. There is a large negative area to the right while the hopper instead leads your eyes out to the left, leaving the right area abundant.
07-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Looks really good! The only real feedback is that I find the composition a bit heavy to the left. There is a large negative area to the right while the hopper instead leads your eyes out to the left, leaving the right area abundant.
Thanks, I'll experiment with 4:5 aspect ratio.
07-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I see a well balanced image and no composition issues.

Ok I could suggest that if I use the rule of thirds the subject is slightly out of place, or I could suggest that the golden ratio is not adhered to, .
or I could suggest that theres too much negative space, or that any number of compositional rules are broken.

On the other hand I could say that you have a good composition with the stick and green grasshopper on the left being mirrored by the stick and green leaf on the right. the whole lending a balance and harmony, and that the image shape and positioning of the elements allows the forms the space to breathe, and the proportions are absolutely correct.

No cropping is needed, the image is good as it stands. Imho

07-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

To all its own i guess.