Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
It's Summer in Scotland
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 07-13-2014, 03:58 PM

Perhaps nobody told this lassie that, a Jacket, Hoody, Jumper, Shirt, Scarf, it must be like peeling an onion when she gets home.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Views: 1,700
07-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used to go to Scotland when I was in the Navy (the sub base in Danoon is long gone). Being from Washington state I could kind of relate to Scotland's wet weather. A dry 75 degree day was like Miami for them. Great people and lots of great memories there.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 07-14-2014 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Fix typo
07-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's far to hoot for all that.. DAM!

I was playing around with my samyang 24mm today at my dads house (scotland)
07-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I remember my two summers in Scotland… I don't think it got to 70 degs (21 C) the whole 2 years we were there, and I maybe saw 100 days of good sunshine!? Ah but that didn't matter, loved the place anyway, and we intend to go back next summer for a few weeks.

07-13-2014, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
the sub base in Dunoon is long gone
Aye, Holy Loch closed I believe in 1992.
07-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
It's far to hoot for all that.. DAM!
Your not wrong.
07-15-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I don't think it got to 70 degs (21 C) the whole 2 years we were there
Aye but we're not built here for hot weather.

That's why the average Scot starts off a blue colour, a week in the sun to go white, another week in the sun to go red and the third week the skin peals off.

07-15-2014, 02:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye but we're not built here for hot weather.

That's why the average Scot starts off a blue colour, a week in the sun to go white, another week in the sun to go red and the third week the skin peals off.
Yea its not just the heat though as we are quite a wet country when it get's hot the air gets very clammy. Not a great mix
07-15-2014, 04:30 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
when it get's hot the air gets very clammy
We're luckier up here in the North... the gale force winds keep the humidity down.
07-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
I used to go to Scotland when I was in the Navy (the sub base in Danoon is long gone). Being from Washington state I could kind of relate to Scotland's wet weather. A dry 75 degree day was like Miami for them. Great people and lots of great memories there.
This is exactly why I want to move to WA. I have a feeling it's as close as I can get to Scotland or Ireland in the USA. Correct? 75 in the Summer? Sounds like heaven to me and I don't mind the rain. I'm used to it. When the sun isn't beating you down flat it pours here all the time. Right now it's 88 percent humidity, 50% chance of rain, and it's supposed to be 90 something today. Heat index is closer to 100 degrees and it will be like this for at least 2 1/2 more months, EVERY DAY...

I'd swap weather with the folks over there, or where you live, in a heartbeat. I really would. Living here it's like living in a sweaty, humid rainforest. It's not all that great. I always laugh at the tourists who come here from there actually. They love it, of course. Sit out in the sun when it's like this all day at the beach and risk heat stroke. People that live here don't willingly do that. We go from our A/C houses to our A/C cars to our A/C jobs, stores, hang out places etc. I honestly don't know how people did this in long thick clothes sans A/C back in the old days. I practically faint in a thin t-shirt and a light summer skirt or shorts...

I'd nearly kill for 75 degrees right now...sigh....

Last edited by magkelly; 07-15-2014 at 09:13 AM.
07-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
This is exactly why I want to move to WA. I have a feeling it's as close as I can get to Scotland or Ireland in the USA. Correct? 75 in the Summer? Sounds like heaven to me and I don't mind the rain. I'm used to it. When the sun isn't beating you down flat it pours here all the time. Right now it's 88 percent humidity, 50% chance of rain, and it's supposed to be 90 something today. Heat index is closer to 100 degrees and it will be like this for at least 2 1/2 more months, EVERY DAY...

I'd swap weather with the folks over there, or where you live, in a heartbeat. I really would. Living here it's like living in a sweaty, humid rainforest. It's not all that great. I always laugh at the tourists who come here from there actually. They love it, of course. Sit out in the sun when it's like this all day at the beach and risk heat stroke. People that live here don't willingly do that. We go from our A/C houses to our A/C cars to our A/C jobs, stores, hang out places etc. I honestly don't know how people did this in long thick clothes sans A/C back in the old days. I practically faint in a thin t-shirt and a light summer skirt or shorts...

I'd nearly kill for 75 degrees right now...sigh....
I lived for 2 years in Scotland and 10 in Houston. I'd take Scotland any time, without a second thought. Those hot Texas summers really wore me out.
07-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

'Tis a short summer here she should try and enjoy it !
07-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
'd swap weather with the folks over there, or where you live, in a heartbeat
I guess it's like all things in life, we never seem satisfied with what we have.

Our conditions certainly do sound better than what your experiencing there just now.
07-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I'd take Scotland any time, without a second thought
Would be nice to get a little more sunshine here though.
07-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Pflittt!!!! Sunshine is highly overrated if you ask me. I like it cloudy and rainy for weeks on end. At least it's not freaking hot! Yeah, yeah, I know. It's harder to take photos in the rain. Oh wait, gee, that's why I have a Pentax! So I can take my little DSLR out in mucky, foggy, often rainy places like Washington and Scotland and not have to worry about a wee bit o rain, grin...

Last edited by magkelly; 07-15-2014 at 01:34 PM.