Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My latest adventure.
Lens: Sigma 18-250-21 Ltd-40xs Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Algonquin Park, Ontario, Canada 
Posted By: normhead, 07-16-2014, 02:06 PM

I had a trip to guide this last weekend, full of adventure..

We took the water taxi up to Annie's Bay

Nice Campsite

So-so sunset, but worth capturing...

Next morning heading down the Opeongo River..

Doing a little fishing...

Steaks, spuds and grilled veggies topped with feta cheese for dinner.

Awesome sunset.

Jaro brought an FF Sony with 70-200 2.8.

Great finish...

Next day even better sunset...

Next morning I tell Phil to try tossing a pancake to flip it, forgetting the fry pan had a folding handle.... Phil accuses me of trying to get him back for not telling me I was accidentally putting salt instead of sugar in my coffee the morning before.

Last chance to fish before the end of the trip.

The truck breaks down in the Access Point parking lot and we all ride home in the Tow Truck. (Broken brake line.)

Tripper hams it up in the parting photo, even though he didn't go on the trip.

All the trip images posted are here.

Last edited by normhead; 07-17-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Views: 1,257
07-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It makes me wish it was summer all the time.
07-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great story and photos.
07-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It makes me wish it was summer all the time.
I hear from Canadians who live in Florida, that summer gets boring after a while, who knows?

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Great story and photos.
Thanks

07-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Norm. it looks like you had way too much fun, wonderful Algonquin pictures. I know that the fishing was good, it always is but how was the catching? Any walleye?
07-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
We didn't really do well fishing in Heinrich, a few small bass. It was a god trip anyway, but it would shave been good to land a few big ones.
07-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like a fun trip! Love the driftwood photos, and wonderful landscapes.

07-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice trip and photos.
07-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Susinok Quote
Looks like a fun trip! Love the driftwood photos, and wonderful landscapes.
Driftwood and landscapes are always a thrill for sure, thanks for commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Nice trip and photos.
Thanks Tony
07-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Great pics and I love that wooden boat. My grandparents had a Peterborough boat and canoe...both wooden. They had a cottage...my grandfather built out of logs (he was a CPR carpenter) in the 1920's. The cabin was on Long Lake, Ontario...more commonly known as Ingolf.

Their Peterborough boat had if I recall a 1930's 5 hp Evinrude...at the time that was a big engine. They also had a small Johnson outboard from that time period.

That wooden boat brought back memories. Thanks for posting Norm.

Les
07-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great pics and I love that wooden boat. My grandparents had a Peterborough boat and canoe...both wooden. They had a cottage...my grandfather built out of logs (he was a CPR carpenter) in the 1920's. The cabin was on Long Lake, Ontario...more commonly known as Ingolf.

Their Peterborough boat had if I recall a 1930's 5 hp Evinrude...at the time that was a big engine. They also had a small Johnson outboard from that time period.

That wooden boat brought back memories. Thanks for posting Norm.

Les
We know the boat driver Mathew, spouse of Amber, who plays volleyball with us sometimes. SO I was talking to him about the boat. That boat is brand new, and cost $8000. But the Outboard which is huge, cost as much as the boat so the total package around $15,000, but it would run fine with a 20 horse on it, worth about 3k.

I have a 1934 Peterborough Ontonabee in my boat shed waiting for new gunnels, that when fully restored should be worth about $3k. It needs about 5 to10 hours work plus a coat of paint to be as good as new. I can hardly wait to get out in it.
07-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We know the boat driver Mathew, spouse of Amber, who plays volleyball with us sometimes. SO I was talking to him about the boat. That boat is brand new, and cost $8000. But the Outboard which is huge, cost as much as the boat so the total package around $15,000, but it would run fine with a 20 horse on it, worth about 3k.

I have a 1934 Peterborough Ontonabee in my boat shed waiting for new gunnels, that when fully restored should be worth about $3k. It needs about 5 to10 hours work plus a coat of paint to be as good as new. I can hardly wait to get out in it.
Thanks for the info on the boat Norm. That 1934 Peterborough sounds like it would be right at home at Ingolf.

Ingolf is in NW Ontario...right smack dab on the Ontario-Manitoba border.

I'm a fan of old wooden boats. We have a boat...but not one made of wood. It's a '90's Old Town Discovery freighter style....about 17.5 feet long. Has provision for oars, but we use paddles, but mostly a 4 HP Deluxe Evinrude to potter around.

Les
07-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have a 1934 Peterborough Ontonabee in my boat shed

You should mount a 645z in the bow like a punt-gun--touch 'er off occasionally, crop as needed, and you'd have GoPro for us refined sorts.

At any rate, a great set...no doubt a lot of (literal) saints--and sinners, like Etienne Brule'--made that same float, so it's great to see the landscape.
07-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
You should mount a 645z in the bow like a punt-gun--touch 'er off occasionally, crop as needed, and you'd have GoPro for us refined sorts.

At any rate, a great set...no doubt a lot of (literal) saints--and sinners, like Etienne Brule'--made that same float, so it's great to see the landscape.
It's actually a great run, (apart from any historical significance) I'm not sure why more people don't do it, it seems to be relatively unknown. It would be great for anyone with basic Moving Water skills to come and practice on the way to the next level. If you dump, you're going to have to wade a bit, no danger of drowning, and easy runs with only basic steering techniques required.

Last edited by normhead; 07-17-2014 at 01:38 PM.