Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Black-and-white Warbler (2imgs)
Posted By: palmor, 05-07-2008, 05:12 AM

Another bird that I've never seen before. He acted a lot like a Nuthatch (which I later read was a trait of theirs), moving around the branches really quickly looking for insects. This is one of the times I had some super fast AF because as soon as I got a lock he would move it seemed hehe

Just too bad that I couldn't get a cleaner shots of him, the 2nd shot is just slightly out of focus (hard to tell at this size but it is). I had tried to pre-focus on the spot he would be when he looped around the tree trunk but just missed.

Another strange thing now that I'm thinking about it is that I had the camera set to auto ISO up to 400, wonder why it used such a low ISOs.. hmmm

Pentax K10D ,Tokina 400mm f/5.6 AT-X
1/180s f/8.0 at 400.0mm iso200

Pentax K10D ,Tokina 400mm f/5.6 AT-X
1/180s f/8.0 at 400.0mm iso100

--
palmor's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
Views: 1,579
05-07-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be honest, I like the shots as they are, they show the real world.

In terms of focus, I guess the issue is one of pixle peeping, because as viewed on my 22 inch monitor they look fine. They also appear larger than life, so don't get too down on the focus.

what crop did you use? I assume these were cropped out of a larger shot.
05-07-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
To be honest, I like the shots as they are, they show the real world.

In terms of focus, I guess the issue is one of pixle peeping, because as viewed on my 22 inch monitor they look fine. They also appear larger than life, so don't get too down on the focus.

what crop did you use? I assume these were cropped out of a larger shot.
Thanks Lowell, the 1st one is dead on but the 2nd one is a little oof.. but your right that is only viewed at 100%

I actually didn't have to crop these too much at all, this guy wasn't all that skittish, it was more trying to catch him as he zoomed around the tree. Here are a couple of small version of the full non pp'd shots to show how much I cropped.

Thanks for the feedback!
John
05-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
Thanks Lowell, the 1st one is dead on but the 2nd one is a little oof.. but your right that is only viewed at 100%

I actually didn't have to crop these too much at all, this guy wasn't all that skittish, it was more trying to catch him as he zoomed around the tree. Here are a couple of small version of the full non pp'd shots to show how much I cropped.

Thanks for the feedback!
John
John

given how close you were, I think the focus problem on the second one was that you are focused on the tree, and the bird is actually closer this gives you a DOF problem. Something people don't often remember is DOF is not centered around the focus point, but actually 1/3 in front and 2/3 behind the focus point, This might also be why the bird behind the branch is better than the one in front of the tree.

With respect to exposure I noted in the EXIF that it reported a different and much shorter lens i.e. a pentax 35-70mm even though the ffocal length is 400mm. This was a surprise, and maybe all the exposure is incorrect (i.e. not optimum) for the lens you report you used.

What exposure mode were you in when you shot. It may have been following a program line of some sort.

05-07-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
John

given how close you were, I think the focus problem on the second one was that you are focused on the tree, and the bird is actually closer this gives you a DOF problem. Something people don't often remember is DOF is not centered around the focus point, but actually 1/3 in front and 2/3 behind the focus point, This might also be why the bird behind the branch is better than the one in front of the tree.

With respect to exposure I noted in the EXIF that it reported a different and much shorter lens i.e. a pentax 35-70mm even though the ffocal length is 400mm. This was a surprise, and maybe all the exposure is incorrect (i.e. not optimum) for the lens you report you used.

What exposure mode were you in when you shot. It may have been following a program line of some sort.
Yup, that is where the focus was exactly I tried to pre-focus before the bird came around the trunk... it was a complete guess where the bird would come so I focused on the trunk at the same distance I *thought* he was going to be. I was off by a few inches hehe

As far as the EXIF data, for some reason Light Room recognizes the Tokina as the pentax 35-70.. I have no idea why. Although the lens used is incorrect the focal length is always right, and the camera does seem to know since I will get the flash symbol at shutter speeds this low.

It is curious though if the camera is somehow confused as you say and is setting the shutter/iso combo way to low when I use auto-ISO (I've never a problem when I dial in ISO manually). Oh, to answer your question I used Av mode

Thanks!
John
05-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
Yup, that is where the focus was exactly I tried to pre-focus before the bird came around the trunk... it was a complete guess where the bird would come so I focused on the trunk at the same distance I *thought* he was going to be. I was off by a few inches hehe
if I were so inclined, I would look at the image size (knowing the size of th ebird) and calculate your shooting distance.

My bet, without doing this, is that the DOF is about 1/4 the thickness of the bird hehe

One thing you might want to consider, and I don't know how you feel, but have you thought of using a flash? I do frequently.

I am not sure you have seen my favourite flash shot before, but I have referenced it many times.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/106132-post4.html

It is a very good way to stop the lens down further because you no longer need shutter speed to freeze the image.

BTW, I have never used auto ISO and generally shoot in manual mode only, simply because I don't necessairly trust pentax engineers (and programmers) to think as I do. I have been waiting over 20 years for a mindread.exe function, and I expect I will wait another 20