Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Play another kind of ball (soccer)
Posted By: mel, 05-07-2008, 07:38 AM

These are from my older boys' U14 and U16 rec soccer games (the entire league, u14 and up, all wear the same shirts). Learning to catch the action, then find a decent image in the shots has been a fun challenge. There is really no post-processing here other than de-tilting (as I can't seem to hold my camera straight while shooting this fast) and cropping down to the action.

I'm an avid player myself (33 years), coach (10 years), and ref (7 years). Shooting the games has been a great benefit for the coaches as I am finally keeping my mouth shut on the sidelines (the coaching habit is a hard one to break).

I know some could be sharper but I'm still learning the trick of catching the movement and making it sharp. These kids are pretty fast. I'm shooting in burst mode with autofocus set to continuous but even at that they seem to move faster than the camera. I shot in Sensitivity Priority at 800 ISO and let the camera do the rest as the sun would go behind an occassional cloud and I didn't want to have to keep adjusting and miss stuff. According to the exif data most shots look like they were at f8 or 9.5 and between1/500 and 1/1500 sec, based on what the sun was doing. I was using a 70-300 zoom but if I zoomed in too much the players would easily move out of the frame while I was trying to catch them. I'm sure some of the loss of sharpness is due to the extreme cropping. None of the images were sized up though.

For those of you that do this sort of shooting, what would be a better mode to use to increase my chances of sharper images? I'm just sort of winging it here and this is definitely something I would like to get better at.

We're blue
Thanks and enjoy.

U14

U14

U14 - goal

U16 - this kid is a fantastic keeper, and if he wants, he can punt the ball clear to the opposite keeper

U16 - foul in progress

U16

Last edited by mel; 05-07-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Views: 4,245
05-07-2008, 10:13 PM   #16
AML

Nice shots Mel. Soccer isn't easy too shoot. I found this out last weekend when i tried shooting a game for the first time.

These three examples were shot in AV mode. I used center weight also. I haven't tried TAv so i must give this a try too.

05-08-2008, 03:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I usually do park myself at one end or the other but the refs want everyone between the 18s and no one behind the goal line. As a ref I try not to disregard the rules. Tempting as it may be...
Between the 18s???? Did you mean the 18-yard box?
What's the reasoning for not allowing people behind the by-line? Maybe you need a Photo permit.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you think soccer is fast, you should try shooting lacrosse.
Definately. It was a high school sport. LC is Canada's Official national sport. Why do Canadian sports have funny sticks?

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You know what they say about Italy? Opera has it's Divas and Football has it's Divers.
Gary
Nope, never heard of it.

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Uh oh. Now it begins . . .
Not at all. The truth cannot be denied and it angers some of us fans too but, it's part of the Italian game.

:surprise Mel is a mom not a dad?
05-08-2008, 05:14 AM   #18
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Between the 18s???? Did you mean the 18-yard box?
What's the reasoning for not allowing people behind the by-line? Maybe you need a Photo permit.

Not at all. The truth cannot be denied and it angers some of us fans too but, it's part of the Italian game.

:surprise Mel is a mom not a dad?
They don't want anyone from the top of the penalty area back to the goal line, or behind the goal lines. It's mainly that they don't allow coaching in those areas but it's held to spectators as well because I've seen coaches in the competitive leagues plant someone seemingly innocent and parental-looking who will quietly be coaching the keeper, etc. So they keep everyone out of there. I'm well known in the league because of reffing and coaching and know most of the refs at home so they probably woudn't have a problem with it, and I do sneak back there on occassion, but since I am a ref, I try to respect the rules. No photo passes. This is just a local recreational league.

I meant "it begins" in a humorous sort of way. Rivalries and such. It's part of the game and can be fun. And you know the Brits. They get a tad emotional with their sport.

Diving is tough on refs. No matter what the call (or non-call) someone is going to yell at you.

Yes I'm a mom. Girls play too ya know! Mel is short for Melanie but that's too many syllables. I suppose I should put up a more feminine picture of myself, instead of one where I'm making a face at the camera, to dispel any ambiguity caused by the name.

Last edited by mel; 05-08-2008 at 07:54 AM.
05-08-2008, 05:21 AM   #19
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AML Quote
Nice shots Mel. Soccer isn't easy too shoot. I found this out last weekend when i tried shooting a game for the first time.

These three examples were shot in AV mode. I used center weight also. I haven't tried TAv so i must give this a try too.
Thanks!
Nice sharpness on yours. I like the contrasty light too. You can easily untilt the tilty ones if you get a chance. Mine always look like the players are running uphill or downhill so I have to rotate almost everything back to where the field is horizontal again. I can never manage to hold my camera level. Digital has been a wonderful thing for me in that respect.