Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Red deer hind - far from the Scottish Highlands
Camera: Bushnell 8MP Remote camera Photo Location: Mosquito Creek, Queensland, Australia ISO: 100 Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: PJ1, 07-24-2014, 03:13 AM

It is hardly the Scottish Highlands (cactus just to the right of the hind's head!) but I have a few wild red deer on my place (originally Scottish blood), along with rusa and fallow deer. I see a few most days. The remote cameras are mostly to keep an eye on other things, but deer often turn up on them The cameras rarely attract the attention of other animals, but deer are inclined to check them out, probably because they sit closer to the deer's eye level.

Deer can be hard to photograph because they are so wary. But curiosity pulls them in. This one came so close I ended up with just its right ear in the frame!

Nothing remarkable about the image but I thought she composed herself quite nicely. It shows the capability of these remote cameras. This is a Bushnell 8MP camera which is probably about four years old. The most recent ones may give a better image. I adjusted the contrast (exposure can be a bit off under some conditions) and gave it a little bit of unsharp mask.

Note how dry it is. We have just had three weeks of frosts (down to -5C) and no rain to speak of since the end of March.

Views: 906
07-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a good shot and yes a lot of wild deer are very hard to capture (unless they are in a National Park and somewhat use to people).
07-25-2014, 02:39 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
far from the Scottish Highlands
Had one of these in the garden this very morning, must be a distant cousin.