Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

African Wildlife Anyone? Two of these images are being printed at 24x36 and hung...
Posted By: Marc Langille, 05-07-2008, 06:27 PM

At Bedfords Camera and Video in Fayetteville - unless specified, no cropping in any image. Pentax K20D and FA* 300/2.8 (sometimes with Kenko 1.5x AF TC), unless otherwise specified.

African Plains Zebras - Striped Set - taken at F/5.6, 1/2000 sec., ISO 320, AV mode:

Breaking for Cover (this is one of the initial two prints) - taken at F/6.3, 1/250 sec., ISO 100, AV mode:

Blue Wildebeest - taken with Canon EOS 40D and Sigma APO 500mm F4.5 EX DG/HSM. There is no IS/VR/SR with this setup, so high shutter speeds are a must....

Taken at F/7.1, 1/1250 sec., ISO 500, 500mm:

I'll try to post a sample of the same animals with the K20D+FA* 300/2.8 w/Kenko 1.5x AF TC and the glorious FA* CPL (Circular Polarizing Filter for the FA* 300/2.8, 250-600/5.6, and 600/4 lenses). That CPL removes the blown out areas on the backs of the animals in sunshine in the middle of the day. A sincere thank you to Ron Boggs for the suggestion to buy one! Got it used, excellent condition at B & H photo via a Google search...

Below is the second shot being printed at Bedfords and dry mounted. Both images will have the camera, lens and EXIF information on the bottom, as well as my name, and my primary associations with PSNWA and NANPA beside it.

African Eland - taken at F/5.6, 1/125 sec., ISO 800, AV mode, Exposure -0.7 to bump the shutter speed from 1/60 sec. to 1/125 sec. Taken roughly 5-10 minutes after sunset:

Perhaps the image of the Eland is a once-in a lifetime shot - I am not sure... he was quite close (perhaps 40 feet away) and more than filled my viewfinder with the FA* 300/2.8!!

The Eland is part of the Oryx family, and the world's largest antelope: males weigh 1300-1500 pounds, and stand up to 70 inches at the shoulder - almost 6 feet...

Crop of his head:

The smaller image of this crop above DOES NOT do the full sized image justice. At 100%, you can easily see the horizon line in the Eland's eyes, and the afterglow of the setting sun.

Let there be no question: these are very wild animals and should be treated as such accordingly. I just had no idea that the ranch owner in Texas had them - this ranch is well over 6,000 acres with a 8-10 foot fence surrounding the entire tract of land.

More images will follow. I think they'll be hanging more images as my schedule permits to prep them, since it's part of Bedfords' promotion of the Pentax K20D. These images have come with a lot of highs/lows/frustrations with this competition. I'll not post any portfolio contenders until the contest is over and the submission deadline has passed.

I do hope you enjoy them!

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 05-08-2008 at 04:07 AM. Reason: typo, clarification
Views: 7,435
05-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amazing work and I thought for sure you where you would say from a safari trip in africa. Great work and welcome back

05-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Again you show us some amazing photography Mark, thank you for posting the series.
05-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
What pro shooter are you referring to?
You My friend, I have faith...
05-22-2008, 01:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

More stunning images from the FA*300 f2.8. That crop of the head is amazing!!

Just goes to show what good design and QC can do for a lens. Put that lens in the right hands, like yours, and we have a winning combination.

Magnificent photos, mate.

05-22-2008, 05:18 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Incredible shots Marc. Using your time well. Looks like you were in Africa. Never would have thought that possible in Texas.
Seeing these shots makes me covet the 300 2.8. Well done. Can't imagine being in a blind for days in 105 temp. That takes true dedication.
Didn't realize you were using a Canon too. Last I remember it was to be a Nikon. Canon has a strange control layout compared to most others. Would be hard to get used to. You do what you have to though.
For the tele with no hood I would get some black construction paper and wrap it around lens. You can either tape it or use velcro (Celestron does this). Very cheap, light weight, portable, and effective. Amazing how long a shade can be on a big tele.
Wonderful shots. Keep up the good work. Don't let the pressure get to you. Enjoy it.
thanks for the update.
barondla
05-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Amazing work and I thought for sure you where you would say from a safari trip in africa. Great work and welcome back
Thanks Pat - glad to be back and I've one more trip for 10 days... next Friday... back to the heat of 105F...

Perhaps it would not be readily apparent that these weren't taken in Africa, since the initial glance shows similar kinds of vegetation - but I'm not a plant expert...

Glad you enjoyed and I'll have more in the future.

Cheers,
Marc
05-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

As I said, extraordinary pictures. Good that you're getting a lot out of the competition.
The jumping zebra is my favourite, is it a panning shot ?

We would love to come out to your hide, with some cool ones. But don't wanna disturb and spoil. Hang in there

05-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

That last shot is absolutely stunning Marc.
and the rest are not far behind it.

Seriously nice work and a proof that the guy behind is what makes the difference.
05-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Marc, It is ''great'' to see ''great'' results from someone with Great equipment...Great photography!!!!!!!
05-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Marc all I can say is wow ... stunning shots ... the zerbra's the detail , all of them are top notch best of luck in the competition. Outstanding ....
05-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Well, this are some funny looking striped doggies!

It's so rare for most of us to see creatures like this outside of a zoo. And, then they look so depressed since the enclosures are so limited.

These are truly nice shots! If these are not your contest contenders, I shudder to think how good your keepers must be!

I especially enjoy the running zebra and the African Eland. The crop is really cool!

Thanks for sharing these!
05-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Heinrich and Peter...

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Again you show us some amazing photography Mark, thank you for posting the series.
Thank you Heinrich! I am coming to appreciate the long hours, etc. needed by those still and motion photographers to capture images or even get them back to normal behavior after setting up a blind. A newfound respect for their work.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
You My friend, I have faith...
Well, we shall see - thank you Peter!
05-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
More stunning images from the FA*300 f2.8. That crop of the head is amazing!!

Just goes to show what good design and QC can do for a lens. Put that lens in the right hands, like yours, and we have a winning combination.

Magnificent photos, mate.
Thank you Lance! It's a wonderful, wonderful lens - the glass clarity is truly top-notch. I am amazed every time I look at an image at 100%. It's almost on par with

The effort of getting these images is still very difficult to capture, but the glass just makes it a bit easier. Perhaps that winning combination you refer to will translate into at least a division winner...

Thank you again.

Regards,
Marc
05-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Incredible shots Marc. Using your time well. Looks like you were in Africa. Never would have thought that possible in Texas.
Seeing these shots makes me covet the 300 2.8. Well done. Can't imagine being in a blind for days in 105 temp. That takes true dedication.
Didn't realize you were using a Canon too. Last I remember it was to be a Nikon. Canon has a strange control layout compared to most others. Would be hard to get used to. You do what you have to though.
For the tele with no hood I would get some black construction paper and wrap it around lens. You can either tape it or use velcro (Celestron does this). Very cheap, light weight, portable, and effective. Amazing how long a shade can be on a big tele.
Wonderful shots. Keep up the good work. Don't let the pressure get to you. Enjoy it.
thanks for the update.
barondla
The Great White Egret shot I posted in another thread was near the end of being in a blind for 5.5 hours in those temps... a real joy...

It was a last minute notification about the lens mount - I got whatever Sigma USA sent us! Thank you for the suggestion about the lens hood - I'll give it a roll (no pun).

Cheers,
Marc
05-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
As I said, extraordinary pictures. Good that you're getting a lot out of the competition.
The jumping zebra is my favourite, is it a panning shot ?

We would love to come out to your hide, with some cool ones. But don't wanna disturb and spoil. Hang in there
Thanks Sune! You are correct about the moving Zebra: that's a panning shot...

Bring those cool ones... I'll need them!

Cheers,
Marc