Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
African Wildlife Anyone? Two of these images are being printed at 24x36 and hung...
Posted By: Marc Langille, 05-07-2008, 06:27 PM

At Bedfords Camera and Video in Fayetteville - unless specified, no cropping in any image. Pentax K20D and FA* 300/2.8 (sometimes with Kenko 1.5x AF TC), unless otherwise specified.

African Plains Zebras - Striped Set - taken at F/5.6, 1/2000 sec., ISO 320, AV mode:

Breaking for Cover (this is one of the initial two prints) - taken at F/6.3, 1/250 sec., ISO 100, AV mode:

Blue Wildebeest - taken with Canon EOS 40D and Sigma APO 500mm F4.5 EX DG/HSM. There is no IS/VR/SR with this setup, so high shutter speeds are a must....

Taken at F/7.1, 1/1250 sec., ISO 500, 500mm:

I'll try to post a sample of the same animals with the K20D+FA* 300/2.8 w/Kenko 1.5x AF TC and the glorious FA* CPL (Circular Polarizing Filter for the FA* 300/2.8, 250-600/5.6, and 600/4 lenses). That CPL removes the blown out areas on the backs of the animals in sunshine in the middle of the day. A sincere thank you to Ron Boggs for the suggestion to buy one! Got it used, excellent condition at B & H photo via a Google search...

Below is the second shot being printed at Bedfords and dry mounted. Both images will have the camera, lens and EXIF information on the bottom, as well as my name, and my primary associations with PSNWA and NANPA beside it.

African Eland - taken at F/5.6, 1/125 sec., ISO 800, AV mode, Exposure -0.7 to bump the shutter speed from 1/60 sec. to 1/125 sec. Taken roughly 5-10 minutes after sunset:

Perhaps the image of the Eland is a once-in a lifetime shot - I am not sure... he was quite close (perhaps 40 feet away) and more than filled my viewfinder with the FA* 300/2.8!!

The Eland is part of the Oryx family, and the world's largest antelope: males weigh 1300-1500 pounds, and stand up to 70 inches at the shoulder - almost 6 feet...

Crop of his head:

The smaller image of this crop above DOES NOT do the full sized image justice. At 100%, you can easily see the horizon line in the Eland's eyes, and the afterglow of the setting sun.

Let there be no question: these are very wild animals and should be treated as such accordingly. I just had no idea that the ranch owner in Texas had them - this ranch is well over 6,000 acres with a 8-10 foot fence surrounding the entire tract of land.

More images will follow. I think they'll be hanging more images as my schedule permits to prep them, since it's part of Bedfords' promotion of the Pentax K20D. These images have come with a lot of highs/lows/frustrations with this competition. I'll not post any portfolio contenders until the contest is over and the submission deadline has passed.

I do hope you enjoy them!

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 05-08-2008 at 04:07 AM. Reason: typo, clarification
Views: 6,974
05-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well dang Marc, you said these were awesome over the phone... The pictures are about 10 Million times better than your words.

I'm glad you've had all the success and even though you had to use the evil camera from beyond the grave it doesn't matter because you're talented with or without Pentax.

I've missed your presence here and it's good to see you still in top form!
05-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Well dang Marc, you said these were awesome over the phone... The pictures are about 10 Million times better than your words.

I'm glad you've had all the success and even though you had to use the evil camera from beyond the grave it doesn't matter because you're talented with or without Pentax.

I've missed your presence here and it's good to see you still in top form!
LOL.... Chris, thank you and it's been quite an absence!

These images are poor substitutes compared to the real deal at 100%. The Canon's 5 FPS is a true savior for several of my birding images, no question. The Sigma is incredibly sharp, and I've had some pretty sweet results - eyelashes on the RoadRunner, no less... One weakness is that it has horrible lens flare if the sun is oriented towards the front. I have no hood for it - they sent me the hood for the 120-300/2.8! I've never seen serious lens flare before (beauty of Pentax I guess).

The K20D's high ISO performance has given me great confidence in lower light situations, without a doubt. Coupled with FA* glass, it's amazing.

Guess what I'm going back to? Friday--> Sunday's forecast is high 90's, windy, and heat index from 105--> 107... and I'm back on Friday... good stuff.

Cheers,
Marc
05-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
WOW that African Eland image is absolutely stunnning! All are top notch though. Lovely work and a treat to view Marc. Excellent work.

05-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
fantastic shots! I particularly liked the panicky feel of #2. thanks for sharing!
05-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Excellent work, Marc. Congrats!
05-07-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That zebra shot is stunning. I love that classic 3D feel. Good clarity of image as well.

The last shot really pops. Amazing crop on that raindeer.

Good work!
05-08-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Wonderful work that I very much enjoyed viewing

05-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
WOW that African Eland image is absolutely stunnning! All are top notch though. Lovely work and a treat to view Marc. Excellent work.
Thanks LaRee - he was very obliging! I've had fun photographing and watching these animals!

Cheers,
Marc
05-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are really great Marc, I especially like the eland even on my laptop the tones are really nice I wish you well in your endeavor it looks like you are getting some good stuff hope the heat waves don't mess you up!
05-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
Ash
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing Marc,
You've done very well, not just to get those shots but to risk your equipment in the wilds of Africa. Where in Africa did you go?
Recently I came back from Kenya (not for touring) but managed to squeeze in a trip to Hell's Gate and Lake Nakuru. I didn't take my newly acquired K100D then, just an MG body and some crappy lenses that I wasn't worried about messing up...

Congrats on getting these captures and having them presented. Well deserved!
05-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
back home for a while...

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
fantastic shots! I particularly liked the panicky feel of #2. thanks for sharing!
Thanks for commenting and I'm glad you enjoyed them.

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Excellent work, Marc. Congrats!
Thank you Kris!

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
That zebra shot is stunning. I love that classic 3D feel. Good clarity of image as well.

The last shot really pops. Amazing crop on that raindeer.

Good work!
Thanks James! That Eland is a VERY big boy - luckily they're fairly docile...

Once again, the my luck failed as I was getting ready to leave: at 4AM on Friday, it pours for over an hour - the first serious rainfall in 7 months - so heavy it knocked all the petals off the flowering bushes...

Now the lake is full again, and there are standing pools of water everywhere! Oh, and of course the gorgeous Red-Tailed Hawk shows up in the tree I've been targeting for the last two days.... after I've taken down the blind.... and he popped up on the tree branch behind me 3 days before that - where the entry opening is, but no chance to get off a photo before he flew away... aaarrrrgh.
05-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
Wonderful work that I very much enjoyed viewing
Thank you! I was quite lucky to have obliging subjects while in the SUV.

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Those are really great Marc, I especially like the eland even on my laptop the tones are really nice I wish you well in your endeavor it looks like you are getting some good stuff hope the heat waves don't mess you up!
Thanks Borno - it's finally coming along, but it still has it's ups and downs. I spent 5.5 hours in the blind Thursday afternoon - with the heat index at 105F.... holy drink fluids - luckily that portable insulated cooler keeps water and Gatorade nice and cool for many hours!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Thanks for sharing Marc,
You've done very well, not just to get those shots but to risk your equipment in the wilds of Africa. Where in Africa did you go?
Recently I came back from Kenya (not for touring) but managed to squeeze in a trip to Hell's Gate and Lake Nakuru. I didn't take my newly acquired K100D then, just an MG body and some crappy lenses that I wasn't worried about messing up...

Congrats on getting these captures and having them presented. Well deserved!
Hi Ash,

Not sure if you missed the reference in the orginal post - this is all in the sub-tropical section of deep south Texas. My apologies for any confusion - it was the fact that African animals were relatively approachable and such a pleasant surprise I wanted to share them! The ranch owner has multiple African animals on his ranch. I still have equipment insurance on everything though!

Thanks for stopping by and looking at the images...

Cheers,
Marc
05-19-2008, 03:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure how i missed this earlier Marc but these are all stunning shots. The Eland is beautiful. You right that you may never get that close again. Love the clarity, colour and the composition. Very well done.

The 2 Zebra shots are excellent as well. I like the way the first two are lined up and both turned toward you. The jumping shot is excellent and worthy of framing. Cool how you got all 4 feet off the ground.

If the K20D pictures are evidence of the CPL's quality, this is a must have item for a pro shooter. The jumping Zebra looks much better (exposure on the back) than the Water Buffalo.

I certainly wish you the best of luck with the competition and hope you get the shots you want/need.
05-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'm not sure how i missed this earlier Marc but these are all stunning shots. The Eland is beautiful. You right that you may never get that close again. Love the clarity, colour and the composition. Very well done.

The 2 Zebra shots are excellent as well. I like the way the first two are lined up and both turned toward you. The jumping shot is excellent and worthy of framing. Cool how you got all 4 feet off the ground.

If the K20D pictures are evidence of the CPL's quality, this is a must have item for a pro shooter. The jumping Zebra looks much better (exposure on the back) than the Water Buffalo.

I certainly wish you the best of luck with the competition and hope you get the shots you want/need.
Thanks Peter - much appreciated. I had to check the area out again a few days later. He was not beyond 30 feet from my SUV...

That CPL has rescued some images that would not normally look good at all in the midday sun. It's a keeper! I'll try to dig up some images to compare against the Sigma (I believe it has a CPL too... )

What pro shooter are you referring to?

Cheers,
Marc