Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time
Lens: A50 2.8 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Iams Nature Center, Knoxville Tennessee ISO: 80 
Posted By: CreationBear, 07-31-2014, 04:22 AM

A quick jaunt around my local park's wildflower area yesterday with my copy of Kerrowdown's femme fatale--my, does that gal get around. One of the things I really like about it as a "flower lens" is that there's almost always two blooms in the frame, and thus an implied conversation to overhear, at least if you're of a Thoreauvean persuasion.

Views: 839
08-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #2

Beautiful shots! Interesting concept... overheard conversations... gives the shots a nice angle I never would of thought of.
08-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice composition! Quite creative.

Dewman
SW Idaho
08-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for y'all's comments--I'm still trying to get a feel for DOF in these kind of shots. Certainly you have all the options--open up, until only, say, a pistil is in focus; or focus stack, so everything's sharp--so finding the right combination for a particular subject is a bit of a mystery. Great to get a little feedback, then...

08-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Thanks for y'all's comments--I'm still trying to get a feel for DOF in these kind of shots. Certainly you have all the options--open up, until only, say, a pistil is in focus; or focus stack, so everything's sharp--so finding the right combination for a particular subject is a bit of a mystery. Great to get a little feedback, then...
In my opinion, DOF can make or break a good flower shot. I think you've got a good handle on it!
Dewman
SW Idaho
08-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Kerrowdown's "Femme Fatale"
I'm growing quite fond of her now, like you I like a little context of background around the flower that I'm taking.

For me it's getting a good specimen as perfect or near perfect example of the flower, that I'm often struggling to find to photograph.
08-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
For me it's getting a good specimen as perfect or near perfect example of the flower, that I'm often struggling to find to photograph.
LOL.... I had to smile, knowing full-well that I do the same thing! A petal that's brown on the end? Nope, won't do! A background that is not a complementary color? Naw.... keep looking! Perhaps not the right grouping for the composition I'd like? I keep peeping around, looking for that "perfect" specimen, that "perfect" neighboring flower, the "perfect" background, the "perfect" lighting for the bokeh I want. Man oh man, it's the pits being a perfectionist.... but, that's what makes the difference between a good photo and a great one. Then, every once in a great while, it all comes together.... and makes all the effort worth while!

Dewman
SW Idaho

08-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I think you've got a good handle on it!

Ha, just a quick view of your album was enough for a needed dose of humility--I was a bit confused by the EXIF data, but whatever long lens you're running makes for some dreamy captures. (Got to love those A4's and J-frames, too.
)

---------- Post added 08-01-14 at 05:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I'm growing quite fond of her now

You know, that's the plot of just about every 18th Century novel--heartless rake suddenly smitten by love, desperate to become worthy of the good woman who's spurned him. (Your countryman, Tobias Smollett's Roderick Random comes to mind--as does the travails of poor James Boswell.)