Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Men on Sunday morning
Posted By: roentarre, 05-08-2008, 05:38 AM

This is taken by DFA 100mm macro as I got no other lenses attached to my k20d!

Views: 2,256
05-08-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool photo. Love the toning.
05-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #3

This shot reminded me of a question I wanted to post here. If you use other people in a shot with out thier permission, can you still sell it or enter it into contests?
05-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
This is taken by DFA 100mm macro as I got no other lenses attached to my k20d!
I really like this shot! A perfect moment in time captured that really tells a story and shows multiple relationships. Love your processing too! That macro is one sharp lens!

QuoteOriginally posted by lodi781 Quote
This shot reminded me of a question I wanted to post here. If you use other people in a shot with out thier permission, can you still sell it or enter it into contests?
If they're in a public place, the basic answer is yes....

05-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That sure looks like the average Sunny Saturday in front of a beach front coffee shop by my place as well James.
And I'm looking forward to that weather
05-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

nice photo James
too bad you couldn't catch the rest of the sign "Drive Thru"
05-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Ive never seen a drive through beer/ wine shop, dont think that would go down to well here in the uk ton many laws! great shot that captures the moment and nice tone work

05-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

In general, yes. Might depend on where you are and local laws, etc. You only need a model release if you are using an image for commercial purposes, which in this case is defined rather strictly as "used in a commercial", eg. to advertise a product.

However if someone has a reasonable expectation of privacy and you violate that, you can be held accountable. Also, if the photo is used in a defamatory way, those particular laws could be used against you. Furthermore there are generally particular rules about the military.
05-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I am not sure why this image is so appealing to me but somehow it has a real pull for me. I really love it. I don't think it would be quite as successful for me if I couldn't see the legs of the men. Excellent post processing makes this image too.
05-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
Damn Brit

I really like it, tells a story.
When I first saw it I immediately thought of that movie 'The Usual Suspects'
05-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
MrA

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
In general, yes. Might depend on where you are and local laws, etc. You only need a model release if you are using an image for commercial purposes, which in this case is defined rather strictly as "used in a commercial", eg. to advertise a product.
Does that extend to cover "advertise a service"? E.g an architect taking a photo of a building they'd done, public place, general public present in the shot, and then architect wanting to use it in their promotional material. Or not, because the people are 'incidental' to the product depicted, as it were?

Like the shot, can't decide if I'd prefer the railing to be perfectly horizontal or not.
05-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I like the photo!

But I'd prefer the distracting lettering to be gone, and a tighter crop on the men themselves. Maintaining a 3:2 aspect works. And the arrow pointing to the bottles gets a heightened effect from being isolated from the rest of the sign. The fact that the top border of the sign is missing helps. And the held cigarette leads into the arrow.

The head beyond the window pops out more for me as well. And yes, I straightened it! Hope you like.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
05-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Cool photo. Love the toning.
I did duotone with some dodgeing. I wished I could turn it into a script. Thanks Dave.

Privacy law does not apply when you stand in the public space. Just like reporters taking photographs of anyone in the street. Entering competition with images like this is fine as far as it is concerned in Australia. But to sell the images would be a tricky thing to do with any images from the public. It really depends on the nature of the photographs.

One thing to note is that images shall never include people under 18 year of age.
05-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
I really like this shot! A perfect moment in time captured that really tells a story and shows multiple relationships. Love your processing too! That macro is one sharp lens!
It is a sharp lens at f4 onwards.

Thanks for the comment. Sometimes, walking casually in the street can be so much fun.

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
That sure looks like the average Sunny Saturday in front of a beach front coffee shop by my place as well James.
And I'm looking forward to that weather
I drink 8 cups of coffee a day, finishing 3 brands of newspaper daily. So I love a casual lazy sunday. Always the way to go with life

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
nice photo James
too bad you couldn't catch the rest of the sign "Drive Thru"
Thanks for pointing that out. I am still falling into the trap of trying to include everything, losing the overall picture in photography and in life.
05-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

fantastic shot jimi.. thats certainly a keeper.. it really captures the mood.. well done!