Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Scottish Cordon Bleu
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 08-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Oh the delights of a locally made Macaroni Pie, the healthy option Scottish style and Al Fresco dining too.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Views: 5,393
08-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #16
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Another one heavily peated in the same style as the Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg is the Caol Ila from the other side of the island. And if you want to try a somewhat "kinder" Islay malt you could have a look at Bowmore. Well, better taste it than look at it, of course.

Ah, I'm getting thirsty from all this talk...

08-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
do yourself a favor and get some Glencairn glasses if you haven't already
And for those really in the know there's these beauties... which can even be monogrammed.
Attached Images

08-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
And for those really in the know there's these beauties... which can even be monogrammed.
I have tried to find some cut crystal. No luck.
That one is gorgeous!
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Caol Ila from the other side of the island.
That's one I keep meaning to try, but never seem to get around to it. I like the peaty, phenolic stuff.
Ah, I'm getting thirsty from all this talk...
Yep. A couple more hours and I just might have a dram.................... or two.
08-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
I have tried to find some cut crystal. No luck. That one is gorgeous!
They are proper Glencairn glasses and are certainly available online, well they are here anyway, good luck in finding some, the whisky just tastes sooooo much better.

The story goes that Glencairn wanted to sell their glasses to the five star prestigious Gleneagles Hotel here in Scotland, but they said we only use cut glass at our hotel, so Glencairn came up with these. It may all be untrue but it's a nice wee tale.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-14-2014 at 02:52 PM.
08-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

They are proper Glencairn glasses and are certainly available online,
Okay, I just found some on Amazon. I used a little different search parameter than before.
It all be untrue but it's a nice wee tale.
As Mark Twain said: "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story". That has become the journalist's creed.

I also came across some Canadian whisky Glencairn glasses. WHAT????? The purpose of the Glencairn glass is to concentrate the aroma, thereby enhancing the flavor. Why in the world would anyone want to do that with Canadian whisky? confused2
08-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Why in the world would anyone want to do that with Canadian whisky?
That should get the Canadian natives restless, rather you than me.

Another wee daft fact for you, a normal sized dram in the plain Glencairn glass, will not overflow when the glass is laid on its side and rolled gently.
08-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, I just tried that. I filled the glass about two thirds full (with water) and tipped it. When it quit pouring out I set the glass right and tne level was right at the center of the bowl. I didn't re-measure it, but at one time I had determined that that was the 50ml level. Coincidence? I think not. (Yes, I can be a bit of an obsessive.)

08-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Kerrowdown, Parallax and Savoche, thanks so much for this information about Scotch and the proper glass. I will begin my search for a good Scotch using your suggestions. I believe your idea of buying two or three different Scotches and enjoying the one that matches the mood is a great way of drinking them and getting a good idea of which ones are the best for me. I've never given much thought about the drinking glass so this is more good information. I'm sure a good and expensive Scotch deserves the correct glass. Also, I'm sure I will enjoy the Pentax Forum more with a dram or two.
08-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #24
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
Also, I'm sure I will enjoy the Pentax Forum more with a dram or two.
Couldn't hurt!
08-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #25
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

“Moderation sir, aye, moderation is my rule. Nine or ten is reasonable refreshment, but after that it’s apt to degenerate into drinking."

But really, we do have threads better suited for this pleasant conversation, don't we?
08-15-2014, 04:49 AM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed.
08-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #27
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

And that quarter cask Laphroaig is rather nice. Well, was. Time for bed now!
08-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
I believe your idea of buying two or three different Scotches and enjoying the one that matches the mood is a great way of drinking them and getting a good idea of which ones are the best for me
I would like to further suggest that you might want to consider a few tasting sessions of drams first, before committing to buying bottles, as some whiskies are an acquired taste, especially some of the more peaty varieties from Islay.

Also you might want try this drinking method... as a way of further exploring your whiskies, take a wee sip straight and savour and then add a little water (pure as you can get it) and savour. The addition of water usually opens up the whisky and really enhances the overall experience.

A wee quick funny tale for you... Being in the company of George Grant here one night, who is the sixth generation of the family owners of Glenfarclas Whisky. He said one of the most often asked questions of him was "What is the correct thing to drink with whisky" his reply was "You can drink it what ever you want, as long as it's my whisky your drinking with"
08-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #29
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I would like to further suggest that you might want to consider a few tasting sessions of drams first, before committing to buying bottles, as some whiskies are an acquired taste, especially some of the more peaty varieties from Islay.

Also you might want try this drinking method... as a way of further exploring your whiskies, take a wee sip straight and savour and then add a little water (pure as you can get it) and savour. The addition of water usually opens up the whisky and really enhances the overall experience.

A wee quick funny tale for you... Being in the company of George Grant here one night, who is the sixth generation of the family owners of Glenfarclas Whisky. He said one of the most often asked questions of him was "What is the correct thing to drink with whisky" his reply was "You can drink it what ever you want, as long as it's my whisky your drinking with"

Excellent points. The Islays are not to everybody's taste.

And just a splash of water can change the taste quite dramatically. I always taste it straight first, then add some water, taste, then maybe some more water. Using a straw as a "pipette" is a good way to control how much water you add.

Never ice, though!
08-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #30
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

take a wee sip straight and savour and then add a little water (pure as you can get it) and savour. The addition of water usually opens up the whisky and really enhances the overall experience.
I've always heard that, but just can't seem to bring myself to do it. It is already between 50 and 60 percent water, so how could adding a few drops more change the flavor? (That rationale is based solely on my complete ignorance of the chemistry involved. )
Using a straw as a "pipette" is a good way to control how much water you add
Maybe I'll try it. then I'll have an excuse to get one of these. Not nearly so elegant as a straw, though.

Last edited by Parallax; 08-16-2014 at 10:32 AM.