Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Scottish Cordon Bleu
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 08-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Oh the delights of a locally made Macaroni Pie, the healthy option Scottish style and Al Fresco dining too.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Views: 5,400
08-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #46
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Out of luck!
Oh dear, there's got to be a proper whisky bar somewhere.

08-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #47
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, here's my report on this "add a a few drops of water" issue:
I don't get it, I don't understand it, but it works. The flavor seems a bit more intense, but that's not, to me, the biggest benefit. It seems to better separate the flavors. Maybe it's my imagination ( Having a medical background I never discount the placebo effect of anything), but I seem to be able to better differentiate the seaweed from the salt, and the phenol seems to be a bit more prominent. The iodine seems about the same. (This is with Ardbeg 10yo, BTW.) Overall, I'm sold on the concept.
08-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #48
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't understand it, but it works
Dare I say... I told you so.

Now you need to go go back and explore all the great whiskies you thought you knew with this new method and enjoy them all over again.
08-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #49
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Now you need to go go back and explore all the great whiskies you thought you knew with this new method and enjoy them all over again.
I'll drink to that!

08-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #50
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

bscott, I must apologize for omitting a critical element of tasting.
Don't "swallow"!
Just roll it around your mouth and over your tongue, until it finds it's own way down.
08-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #51
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
roll it around your mouth and over your tongue, until it finds it's own way down
Thats what I said, perhaps a little more eloquently than you mind.

take a wee sip straight and savour and then add a little water (pure as you can get it) and savour
08-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #52
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Thats what I said, perhaps a little more eloquently than you mind.

More eloquently? Perhaps. I'm more of a "detailed instructions" type.

08-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A thread full of moderators talking about drinking Scotch in moderation... I find that humorous

Yesterday was my first time ever spending more than $20 on whisky, as I am a beer and wine kinda guy. But, the MC for our up coming wedding is a connoisseur type, so I picked up a bottle of 18 year Laphroaig. For $100 I would hope it to be good.

Actually, back in my youth (20 years old) I went through a Scotch phase for a couple months. The cheaper the better. Now that I know more about the world and received a proper education from this thread, I might just buy the cheapest Laphroaig (1/4 cask?) I can find ($50).

Also, excellent photo!
08-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #54
Veteran Member

If there is any interest I would like to give an update on my Scotch Whisky exploration. I have tried them with a little tap water and no water added and I agree some water brings out the flavor. Now for what I have tasted. I bought Glenmorangie, Glenfarclas 12 year old and Laphroaig quarter cask. I'm not sure how to pronounce Laphroaig but that did not matter when purchasing the bottle. The Glenmorangie and the Glenfarclas are very drinkable and have what I would say is the typical scotch flavor. Now the Laphroaig is a whole different animal. Is is a taste that stays with you after drinking for some time. It is the most memorable of the three and might be something of an acquired taste. I'm thinking it might be best on a cold damp day when I could use a jolt and some warming. It is a long journey but this is a report on my first steps.
08-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #55
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Laphroaig is definitely a different animal. All the Islay malts are, as you said, more "memorable" than the ones from e.g. Speyside. Another one I like a lot is Highland Park, from the Orkney Islands. Sort of in between the ones you have.

You have a nice journey to look forward to
08-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #56
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The first Islay I ever tried was Ardbeg 10. I had a dram before dinner, and could still faintly taste it after dinner.
I stick with that and Laphroaig. As I said earlier, my pallette can't tell the difference between Laphroaig and Lagavulin, but my wallet can.
08-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #57
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
A thread full of moderators talking about drinking Scotch in moderation...
We just giving all this photography thing a wee break.

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2014 at 09:44 PM ----------

Laphroaig (1/4 cask?)
A personal favourite of mine.

Also, excellent photo!
Thanks.

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2014 at 09:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
If there is any interest I would like to give an update on my Scotch Whisky exploration
You crack on, it will be interesting to find out how your enjoying the whiskies now.

QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
a little tap water
Try bottled water (as pure as you can), many tap waters have the added chemicals here's a list of just a few... Liquified Chlorine, Fluorosilicic Acid, Aluminium Sulphate, Calcium Hydroxide, Sodium Silicofluoride and here in the UK Fluoride as well. All these have taste implications, that's why a use my burn water that runs off the hill from behind the property.

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2014 at 10:07 PM ----------

Ardbeg 10
Oh no, I've only about two drams left in the Ardbeg Alligator bottle.

Actually just one now, as the others in my glass.

Further update, empty vessel and packaging now off to recycling.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-22-2014 at 02:43 PM.
08-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #58
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Laphroaig is definitely a different animal
"Vive la difference".
08-23-2014, 02:37 AM   #59
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

"Vive la difference".
Come to think of it, I do own a square foot of land (well, marshland, I suppose) out there on Islay. I really should get around to collecting my yearly fee of one dram from Laphroaig
08-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I was drinking my second glass of Laphroaig last night sitting next to my wife when she asked me what was I drinking. She said it had a bad smell something like old shoe leather and wanted to know how anyone could drink it. The good news is that I don't think she will be drinking my scotch but the bad news is that the Laphroaig is an acquired taste but once acquired nothing else will be as good. The old shoe leather taste better and better.