Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Vince Jones
Lens: Hanimex 80-200 Camera: Pentax MZ-5 Photo Location: Gold Coast, Qld, Australia ISO: 400 
Posted By: RobG, 08-09-2014, 05:41 AM

Vince Jones played (and sang) a concert on the Gold Coast in March 2000. I shot these photos on Kodak Ektachrome 320T, using a Pentax MZ-5 and my old Hanimex 80-200 zoom. I think the photos have faded badly, but they were always dark and very red with the tungsten balanced film. It was the only time I tried that film. I'd love to have the chance to take some concert photos with the K5iis and DA*300! The slide was scanned on a Nikon LS30. I'll have to rescan the film because I belatedly discovered that I needed to select "none" for the colour balance in Vuescan in this case.
Views: 578
08-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the lighting a lot. Nice photo, RobG.
08-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I like the lighting a lot. Nice photo, RobG.
Thanks! I may post a couple of other frames of the film once I rescan them with the same setting.
08-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Thanks! I may post a couple of other frames of the film once I rescan them with the same setting.
Please do, I'd love to see them.

Dewman
SW Idaho

08-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is my favourite shot from the whole film, despite the fact that it's not the lead singer. I love the way the bass player seems completely immersed in the music and the process of playing.

---------- Post added 10-08-14 at 03:11 PM ----------

I have a vague recollection that Vince asked for the lights to be turned up so he could see the audience, so I got a couple of shots with better light. I actually like the dark moodiness of the earlier photos though.

08-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is my favourite shot from the whole film, despite the fact that it's not the lead singer. I love the way the bass player seems completely immersed in the music and the process of playing.

---------- Post added 10-08-14 at 03:11 PM ----------

I have a vague recollection that Vince asked for the lights to be turned up so he could see the audience, so I got a couple of shots with better light. I actually like the dark moodiness of the earlier photos though.

Very nice! I love how the highlites fade to black. Very dramatic shot with superb composition. The beautiful wood grain on the bass is an added bonus to the photograph. A real keeper, sir. Thanks for sharing.

Dewman
SW Idaho
08-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Very nice! I love how the highlites fade to black. Very dramatic shot with superb composition. The beautiful wood grain on the bass is an added bonus to the photograph. A real keeper, sir. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you! I really like how his hands emerge from the darkness to play the instrument. I'll have to try some monochrome renditions but the red adds to the mood, too.
08-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well captured shots considering the conditions under which they were taken.

08-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice work. As a fan of Vince it's good to see him on an international forum.
08-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Well captured shots considering the conditions under which they were taken.
Thanks! It was tough. I could get much sharper and more detailed images now with the K5iis, but they wouldn't have the feel of film.

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Nice work. As a fan of Vince it's good to see him on an international forum.
Thank you! I saw Vince on the Gold Coast, 14 years ago now. When I was looking for a video clip to link on Facebook, the most recent concert I found was in Tokyo this year!
08-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks! It was tough. I could get much sharper and more detailed images now with the K5iis, but they wouldn't have the feel of film.

Thank you! I saw Vince on the Gold Coast, 14 years ago now. When I was looking for a video clip to link on Facebook, the most recent concert I found was in Tokyo this year!
I haven't heard much of him for years now. I'm a musician so I tend to be conscious of anyone good that's performing in my area.

cheers