Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
It Isn't SPRING until...
Posted By: SCGushue, 05-08-2008, 07:53 PM

To me Spring does not arrive on the mountain until the Gaywings (Polygala paucifolia) bloom at the end of the first week of May.

They grow in the acid soils of the mountain woodlands and you can see in the first image how small they are where this one is growing amongst sphagnum moss and the remnants of autumns fallen leaves.

These tiny flowers are the size of a dime and very difficult to find. Luckily, the woods on my property have a small number of them and their color just lights up the heart after a long, cold and dreary winter.

These images were shot with the K10D and my Pentax 645 A 120mm Macro.

Image 3 is 1:1 mag.

The cat at the end is my daughter's cat that always follows me around the property when I photograph.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo   

Last edited by SCGushue; 05-09-2008 at 04:12 PM. Reason: technical data
Views: 1,485
05-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You Ba$tard, we got snow today

Very nice photographs SCGushue, #2 is my personal favorite by far
05-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
You Ba$tard, we got snow today

Very nice photographs SCGushue, #2 is my personal favorite by far
Well Stu, snow on green makes for some really neat imaging.

And thanks for the support

Stephen
05-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

One cool flower..

That is one cool flower Stephen...

There is nothing prettier than the first flower of spring!!! You did this one well... GREAT shots... im a close-up girl.... so #3 is my favorite...

Thanks for sharin these wonderful little ditties..

Kim

05-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
That is one cool flower Stephen...

There is nothing prettier than the first flower of spring!!! You did this one well... GREAT shots... im a close-up girl.... so #3 is my favorite...

Thanks for sharin these wonderful little ditties..

Kim
Well Kim, these are my favorite wildflower simply because they are the first clear signs that Spring is here to stay. I like the 1:1 macro on this flower too. But the shape of the flower itself makes it a challenge to photograph at such magnification.

Perhaps it is my scientific background but I showed all the above images in a sequence so that one could see the natural environment the flower is found in and just a little more detail revealed in each additional image.

Thanks

Stephen
05-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice images. We got thunder snow and sleet today.
05-10-2008, 01:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Stephen, the cat has the furcoat like a princess. The flower detail is quite stunning there. This macro was on sale while I travelled to Japan. I was lusting over this lens for a long time but the adaptor costs quite a bit.

Now I see what it is capable of. I have 6 lenses for 645D but the camera body is not yet released !!

05-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow Stephen. These are great macro shots. I really like number 2. Beautiful little flower as well but this thread just drove up the interest (and price?) of this lens. IMO it's one of the better macro shots I've seen from any lens.
05-10-2008, 04:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Nice images. We got thunder snow and sleet today.
Rick, my regrets on the cold weather and snow, but it should make for some really interesting photography possibilites non the less. The sleet however is a downer

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Stephen, the cat has the furcoat like a princess. The flower detail is quite stunning there. This macro was on sale while I travelled to Japan. I was lusting over this lens for a long time but the adaptor costs quite a bit. Now I see what it is capable of. I have 6 lenses for 645D but the camera body is not yet released !!
James, I'm beginning to wonder what Pentax lens you don't own. Seems like you own more than I do. I had never adapted any of my 645 lenses before and wondered just how they would handle the transition to digital. It seems to be worth the cost of the adapter. The only drawback with the lens is that it is stop down metering. For me that is not to much of a disadvantage since I image with scientific medical cameras that are much darker than this all day long.

The cat fur is rediculously sharp in the original image. The jpeg artifact from the decompression that happens when attaching to this forum softens the fur tremdously.

Overall this is a wonderful lens and fits the bill on a focal length that I have searched for when wanting a lens shorter than my Sigma 180 EX DG which is simply a great lens too.

BTW, I certainly hope that the many of us that hope to make the transition to a 645D are not left out in the cold... forever

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Wow Stephen. These are great macro shots. I really like number 2. Beautiful little flower as well but this thread just drove up the interest (and price?) of this lens. IMO it's one of the better macro shots I've seen from any lens.
Peter, my sincere thanks for your commenets. I liked the outcome of this test too. I was astonished at the sharpness of the lens and even at f16 the bokeh seems to be quite beautiful. Now I have to try it with a 645 1.4X and 2x converter. To bad the adapter doesn't provide for open ap metering.

BTW, I recently put my Pentax 645 A*600mm 5.6 ED IF with a Pentax 645 1.4X adapter on a K10D to test the stability of my new Wimberly II and new Gitzo tripod and was blown away by the sharpness of the lens wide open at 840mm (I'll try to post, on this thread, a quick and dirty I took late one evening last week when I get to my desktop later today). That lens is going for a song ebay. These ED IF telphotos all focus with incredible ease.

Stephen
Attached Images

Last edited by SCGushue; 05-10-2008 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Added image
05-10-2008, 05:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stephen, I used to work in the north east forest, and I have been hiking in it for well over 40 years and I've never seen this lovely little wild flower before. It was so striking I had to Google it to find out more. All are wonderful shots but I have to say my fav is #2 as it shows the complete plant in all it's small glory. Thanks for sharing these, and that 645 120mm macro looks like a stellar lens! Beautiful bokeh and sharpness!

NaCl(even after 40 years there is still stuff to learn)H2O
05-10-2008, 06:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's all been said - great macro of a unique flower ! For me the first sign of spring does not happen unitl after May long weekend and even then it can be touch and go.
05-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Stephen, I used to work in the north east forest, and I have been hiking in it for well over 40 years and I've never seen this lovely little wild flower before. It was so striking I had to Google it to find out more. All are wonderful shots but I have to say my fav is #2 as it shows the complete plant in all it's small glory. Thanks for sharing these, and that 645 120mm macro looks like a stellar lens! Beautiful bokeh and sharpness!

NaCl(even after 40 years there is still stuff to learn)H2O
Thanks Salty. As you are aware then, certain seccessions of woodlands seem to produce their own unique sub-habitats. I have never seen these flowers anywhere around here except on my property. Other trails and routes have turned up nothing. I am in an oak-hickory area, but in a beech-maple area a few miles from here there is a flower, I call it the TAX FLOWER, because it blooms the week of April 15th only. I have yet to photograph it but it is on my short list. Like you, with all my travels and time in the woods, I never cease to be amazed.

Stephen

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
It's all been said - great macro of a unique flower ! For me the first sign of spring does not happen unitl after May long weekend and even then it can be touch and go.
Thanks Dave. I know what you mean about "until after May" as I used to live in North Dakota for quite a while.

Stephen