Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
SF Night Shots...
Posted By: edl, 05-08-2008, 09:43 PM

I was motivated to get out last night for some shots for this week's mini-challenge...obviously have some issues with lens flare (shooting into lights doesn't help) but would love to hear your comments on composure and lighting. Of course, any feedback is welcome! Enjoy.

large images at Flickr: edlouie's Photostream

Everything shot with a k10d, Sigma 18-50 2.8, Bogen tripod, MLU.

ISO200, 18mm, 30s f16

ISO100, 18mm, 30s f11

ISO100, 18mm, 10s f11

ISO100, 18mm, 10s f11

ISO100, 18mm, 10s f13

ISO100, 35mm, 30s f13

Last edited by edl; 05-09-2008 at 07:47 AM. Reason: added exif info
Views: 1,870
05-08-2008, 11:32 PM   #2

Great to see more shots of the Bay Area. I need to pick up a tripod and take some night shots. BTW, nice collection of cars!
05-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I particularly like the ones of the Ferry Building. The criss-crossing wires really add to it.
05-09-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The last one is my definite favourite. A bit more contrasty (that's the way I like them ) and it would have been perfect.

All your pictures are excellent.

Gear info and exposure times, please.

05-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
edl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darthku:
Great to see more shots of the Bay Area. I need to pick up a tripod and take some night shots. BTW, nice collection of cars!
Thanks! My family has a car dealer's license so we change cars quite frequently. They are great models to take...never picky, always pose the way you want

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Castleman:
I particularly like the ones of the Ferry Building. The criss-crossing wires really add to it.
Thanks Mark! Do you like the first photo of the Ferry Building, or the second one better? I like the diagonal lines created by the lights and wires in the second photo, but really like the vanishing point in the first photo.

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict:
The last one is my definite favourite. A bit more contrasty (that's the way I like them ) and it would have been perfect.

All your pictures are excellent.

Gear info and exposure times, please.
Thanks! Funny issue about the last one, it was getting a bit misty out, so after that shot I tried to clean the lens. Well, the next shot looked like a streaked windshield, so it was about time to pack it up and head home.

All photos were shot with a k10d, sigma 18-50 2.8, ISO 100. I'll go back to the first post and throw in times, focal lengths, and apertures.
05-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

great photos edl! is that your M5? :|
all the nightscape scenes are fantastic, i always love the effect of cars driving by leaving the red lines. the only minor critque is that it'd be nice if the the words "Cliff House" were a bit more clear, but i'm nitpicking as usual :P
05-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
edl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks k100d. It's actually my brother's M5, but yeah it was my photo car for the night. Camera + tripod fit perfectly in the rear seat footwell. This car gets the most atrocious mileage - I've never been able to get more than 13mpg out of one tank, ever.

I'll have to go and shoot again when it's not so windy and moist. There's just so much moisture that day by the time I set up there was probably pinpoint droplets on the lens. I only got about 6-7 shots done out there before I called it a night.