Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Great Sand Dunes NP
Posted By: Bob Harris, 08-13-2014, 09:03 PM

This park is quite remote but since we are back on the road again, figured we would take a swing by and see the highest sand dunes in America that covers over 30 sq. miles. A passing storm cloud was the perfect light that brought out the colors in this shot, other photos of the dunes were a stark white. Interesting place to visit if you have the time and a place to stay.

Attached Images

Views: 3,242
08-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ever a nice shot!

08-25-2014, 12:23 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ROBEFFY Quote
Ever a nice shot!
thank you for the kind words, glad you enjoyed the view from the dunes.
09-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
interesting color I really love that violet mood of this pic !
09-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the extra shots Bob.
The thing that intruiged me when I was there in '95 or '96 was that when we crossed the then much smaller, narrower creek, from memory only a few steps across, I was interested to see people quite some way up the dunes ahead of us and thought to myself that that would be pretty difficult walking in the sand. Yet as we started to climb I was surprised at how firm the sand was underfoot. I stopped occasionally and dug into the sand and was again surprised at how quickly I encountered moisture and wet sand. We only walked into it for 10 or 15 minutes and were not all that high up.
We were staying at a resort/lodge back towards Alamosa and the locals there explained that A) that little creek is the head waters of the Rio Grande...?? (I dont know if this is true, I only repeat what was said) and B) the sand soaks up much of the water, again, not sure about that, but it was certainly very different sand dunes to what we have here where they are dry and walking on them is a challenge.

Another interesting point was up the road a bit where we walked into a gorge where the water rushes down, I can clearly remember standing in this cavernous gorge, very narrow and marvelling at the smooth rock many 10's of metres above me, until our host suggested we should move on because this area was subject to flash floods and there were thunderstorms in the mountains upstream of where we stood. The smooth rock suddenly loomed into perspective and I was quite pleased to get out of it.

Fascinating area, as is the whole South west.

09-25-2014, 10:30 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
interesting color I really love that violet mood of this pic !
sort of funny but my wife said she would love a house with the interior done in these colors.

---------- Post added 09-25-14 at 10:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Thanks for the extra shots Bob.
The thing that intruiged me when I was there in '95 or '96 was that when we crossed the then much smaller, narrower creek, from memory only a few steps across, I was interested to see people quite some way up the dunes ahead of us and thought to myself that that would be pretty difficult walking in the sand. Yet as we started to climb I was surprised at how firm the sand was underfoot. I stopped occasionally and dug into the sand and was again surprised at how quickly I encountered moisture and wet sand. We only walked into it for 10 or 15 minutes and were not all that high up.
We were staying at a resort/lodge back towards Alamosa and the locals there explained that A) that little creek is the head waters of the Rio Grande...?? (I dont know if this is true, I only repeat what was said) and B) the sand soaks up much of the water, again, not sure about that, but it was certainly very different sand dunes to what we have here where they are dry and walking on them is a challenge.

Another interesting point was up the road a bit where we walked into a gorge where the water rushes down, I can clearly remember standing in this cavernous gorge, very narrow and marvelling at the smooth rock many 10's of metres above me, until our host suggested we should move on because this area was subject to flash floods and there were thunderstorms in the mountains upstream of where we stood. The smooth rock suddenly loomed into perspective and I was quite pleased to get out of it.

Fascinating area, as is the whole South west.
your memory is spot on Grant and it is amazing how much water can come out of those mountains, you wouldn't stand a chance standing there, it would wash you back to Alamosa. Glad to bring back some memories for you and thanks for the great narrative.