Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Beginner
Posted By: OrenMc, 05-09-2008, 06:31 AM

I've just started learning the slr stuff and this is one of the first pictures I've taken that I kind of like. I did get to this spot a little later than I liked so the light wasn't exactlly what I wanted so I did have to raise the sensitivity a bit.
Critique away.

Last edited by OrenMc; 09-01-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Views: 2,400
05-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks futuristic like a comic book/graphic novel.
05-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

i like the look very much and you focused very well because the foreground and background are quite sharp!
maybe it's from the resizing, but you might want to apply some gentle noise reduction to smooth out the shadows
05-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Forum Member

I love this image! Great job!

I agree that it could use a little "gentle noise reduction".
It looks to me like this was an excellent time to shoot. There is a very nice balance between the lights and the sky. Did you have a tripod available?

05-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I like your image and think you are doing a good job learning about SLRs!

Tim
05-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I've just started learning the slr stuff and this is one of the first pictures I've taken that I kind of like.
You only "kind of like" this picture? I think it's great! Definitely has a futuristic feel to it...if only Total Recall looked this good...
05-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This bridge looks so fancy and modern. The night lighting makes it a wonderful image.

05-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for your comments. I want to catch it with some good color in the sky to really set it off.
As for the noise, if I would have caught it just a bit earlier with a tad more light I wouldn't have had to raise the sensitivity so much where most of the noise came from I think. Also I shot 100 ISO so I could have bumped it up also. I know raising ISO too much will add grain but I think at least 200 would have been better.
At the same time though the amount of sensitivity adds to the futuristic look maybe?

That all said I will go back to PP and try the gentle noise reduction.

Funny thing. I spent a couple hours up on a hill trying different shots of downtown Seattle and not one of them was a true keeper for me. I rushed down to this spot and in a hurrry spent around 10 minutes and came up with this.
05-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
Forum Member

When you said that you had to increase the sensitivity, I assumed that you meant that you shot it with a high ISO. But you said you used ISO 100, so now I assume that you meant that you increased the sensitivity in post-production.

This shot was very well seen. Good job.
05-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry I wasn't that clear in that statement about sensitivty. Yes , I was speaking about sensitivity in PP.
Thanks for the kind comments. I think I am driving everyone crazy around me because its all I want to do anymore is learn photography. I was hoping to get another shot at it tonight but the light just didn't pan out like I had hoped. I want to catch it with some good color in the sky to give everything a different cast.

Peace
Oren