Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
my new computer set up.. (just finished building it)
Posted By: distorted_vision, 05-09-2008, 08:51 PM

hey guys n girls, i just finished building up my computer,, i thought that some of you might like to have a squizz.. i love anything electronic and i have a tendancy of modifying everything that i own (including pc's) hope you like it!! its a pretty quick system and it runs linux redhat enterprise. im still waiting for my water cooling kit to turn up in the mail ,so i will post up pics when i end up installing that also. the case isnt finished yet, i still want to fibreglass over the hard-drive and rom bays. it will be all painted in gloss black inside the case also.. i just wanted to put everything tgether and check that all the components work etc. it will be all sealed up properly aswell. shud be able to overclock it a fair bit and juice the quad core amd's that i will be fitting,

Last edited by distorted_vision; 05-09-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Views: 1,940
05-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

can't say i'm a fan of the lights .... but i'm a fan of computers
what are the specs? and why do you need so many fans for a server machine :S
05-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
can't say i'm a fan of the lights .... but i'm a fan of computers
what are the specs? and why do you need so many fans for a server machine :S
haha... i dont need all the fans.. its just complete overkill. i have 2 fans drawing in air from the front, i have one on the side that draws in air and pushes its way past the processors and m/board,i have another fan screwed directly onto the underbody of the power supply to flush through air and draw heat away from the components and i have 2 other fans drawing heat away from the case out the back. - i pretty much set it up so its a fresh flowing case so the inside temp can stay cool. the inside temperature of the case stays at around 15 degrees , so matched with the water cooling and sealment of the case, it should go pretty good and allow for overclocking. i have purchaes 2x amd quad core processors, so it will be runnen like a dream matched with the 8 gig ram to boot! ..
love bright things and the more stuff i can fit into my case, the better... :P
ill post up specs later on when its all finished.

Last edited by distorted_vision; 05-09-2008 at 10:18 PM.
05-10-2008, 03:19 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice machine! My son and I were in the computer sales/service biz for a few years so it was nice to get all my 'toys' at wholesale. I am also a fan of AMD cpu's - good choice there. My current setup is old but still has a glass panel and neon lights. It justs adds another dimension to the computer; it isn't just another appliance in the house, it looks cool! If I were to build another one I think I would use an Apevia X-QPack2 case with liquid cooling; I am getting tired of hearing the hum of fans. What brand of case is yours? You must be a big time gamer with all that processing power.

05-10-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Neat setup. Not a big fan of the illuminated fans. They just add to the consumption.

So you're using dual Phenom's, eh? Would those be Black Edition or standard? You should know that getting a good heatpipe system is a lot more efficient than water cooling. Unless the coolant is something like liquid nitrogen.

I sincerely hope you've paired up your processors with a pack of Ballistix RAM. Otherwise that processing power would be a bit wasted.

All packed neatly into an Antec 900. That would be rad.

Oh and what mainboard are you using?
05-10-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks awsome man, I built my pc two years ago and its amazing how fast things change in the electronic world. When I built mine it cost me about $1400, now you can build it for about $600.lol
05-10-2008, 06:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice looking system! I hope you didn't put Vista on it.

05-10-2008, 06:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Quad core , Redhat , 8gig Ram that thing will be smoking You running KDE or Gnome ? or like me I am a command line kinda guy (take care of several redhat servers for work) SATA hard drives ? Did you RAID them ? For a home system I agree you can never have enough fans - those dust bunnies are nasty! Well done.