Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Beautiful lass - Friday's portraits
Posted By: hamidlmt, 05-10-2008, 08:02 AM

I shot with Ndey last night (she's from Gambia... very cool accent!). She was a bit nervous at first, this being her first shoot, then she started to loosen up and we had a fun time. We're planning a bikini shoot out at the Sandy River soon.... ah, to get back to natural light portraits again... I can't wait!

I started off with the FA 50mm 1.4 on the K10D... I eventually switched to the DA* 50-135mm 2.8 and kept it on most of the time.

Thanks for looking...

Views: 2,634
05-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
we're set to do another shoot tomorrow at the Sandy River.
Should be a nice day for it. It's supposed to be hot, but that water will still be cold! I'm looking forward to seeing what you get.

05-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bless her heart....

Oh yeah - great photography and composition too.
05-16-2008, 06:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

You're up to your old tricks again Hamid

I'm going to start off with one criticism and thats the lighting on a few shots.

#1 the low lighting increased the contrast on her face and made her look older and the bags under her eyes became dominant which I try and shy away from.

#2 & #3 the lighting is brighter everywhere but the face which makes the brightest points her chest, which is quite wonderful, but in the heat of the moment a person looses connection with the subject when the face isn't more dominant.

I noticed these because I haven't seen them in your previous work and not sure how they came out this time. Normally when I light my subject I start with one light and make sure the face is lit then engineer the other lights to make sure I have things down.

I totally think your last two shots win you right back as the lighting and poses are spot on and more typical of what I see from you, which is always top quality work.

I'm going to dig through your site later today for more
05-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Chris... this is really helpful! I still feel really sloppy with my lighting and tend to work overly quickly, trying to keep the spontaneous pace that natural light affords. The results are hit or miss.

You're certainly right about number 1. And, 2 and 3.... yeah... I hear you. I was trying to achieve more even lighting through the body, but the fill was a bit much and overpowered the light on her face.

Appreciate your thoughts! They give me things to keep in mind for next time!

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
You're up to your old tricks again Hamid

I'm going to start off with one criticism and thats the lighting on a few shots.

#1 the low lighting increased the contrast on her face and made her look older and the bags under her eyes became dominant which I try and shy away from.

#2 & #3 the lighting is brighter everywhere but the face which makes the brightest points her chest, which is quite wonderful, but in the heat of the moment a person looses connection with the subject when the face isn't more dominant.

I noticed these because I haven't seen them in your previous work and not sure how they came out this time. Normally when I light my subject I start with one light and make sure the face is lit then engineer the other lights to make sure I have things down.

I totally think your last two shots win you right back as the lighting and poses are spot on and more typical of what I see from you, which is always top quality work.

I'm going to dig through your site later today for more

05-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thats two from two so far

cheers
05-17-2008, 08:05 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Thats two from two so far

cheers
This was my first in-the-garage shoot with Ndey from last week. Thanks!