Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Beautiful lass - Friday's portraits
Posted By: hamidlmt, 05-10-2008, 08:02 AM

I shot with Ndey last night (she's from Gambia... very cool accent!). She was a bit nervous at first, this being her first shoot, then she started to loosen up and we had a fun time. We're planning a bikini shoot out at the Sandy River soon.... ah, to get back to natural light portraits again... I can't wait!

I started off with the FA 50mm 1.4 on the K10D... I eventually switched to the DA* 50-135mm 2.8 and kept it on most of the time.

Thanks for looking...

Views: 2,646
05-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
She definitely does, shall we say, "fill out" the bikini.
05-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
Forum Member

can you possibly photoshop the pimples away, its a bit distracting to me in the first one, I think they look great!
05-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #4

photoshop

I would ask the Lady what she wants- too much photoshop going on these days IMHO!

05-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
She definitely does, shall we say, "fill out" the bikini.
Yeah... sure does!

QuoteOriginally posted by momtographer Quote
can you possibly photoshop the pimples away, its a bit distracting to me in the first one, I think they look great!
What a funny, commercial-driven world we've come to live in.... that it's distracting to look at an honest photography of someone. And, that "photoshop" has become a verb. LOL!

Yeah... maybe I'll do a bit of retouching... just a bit...

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick1946 Quote
I would ask the Lady what she wants- too much photoshop going on these days IMHO!
I agree.... I'm not into plastic skin.
05-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Three words for this model...Lawd Have Mercy !!! What a beauty !!! You lucky summagun !!! Great shots too. I am REALLY looking forward to the bikini shots
05-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Man, if you need a lighting assistant for her next shoot just give me a call and I will be there.

05-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Three words for this model...Lawd Have Mercy !!! What a beauty !!! You lucky summagun !!! Great shots too. I am REALLY looking forward to the bikini shots
LOL! Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Man, if you need a lighting assistant for her next shoot just give me a call and I will be there.
You got it!
05-10-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You guys are shockers!

annnnnnnnnnd so predictable

I like the 1st and 3rd shots best. The yellow top does nothing for her and the last could be better. Maybe move her hand out of the frame, a plain coloured top and some eye contact?
05-11-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow, she is a stunning woman, rich impression with a lingering charm. Her lips, my god, is so unique and classic!

I like number 2 the best as her physique fits that mood depicted the best.

You definitely had fun!
05-11-2008, 07:04 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
You guys are shockers!

annnnnnnnnnd so predictable

I like the 1st and 3rd shots best. The yellow top does nothing for her and the last could be better. Maybe move her hand out of the frame, a plain coloured top and some eye contact?
Thanks for your feedback!

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Wow, she is a stunning woman, rich impression with a lingering charm. Her lips, my god, is so unique and classic!

I like number 2 the best as her physique fits that mood depicted the best.

You definitely had fun!
Oh, yes... it was a really fun shoot! We're set to shoot next Friday at the river... and, it should finally be warm!
05-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Raw beauty well captured Hamid.

Loooove the lighting in 2 and 4, but they're all great - she should be very happy with your work.

Isn't it a hard life being a model photographer.....
05-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I scrolled slowly down the photos.....until I got to the bikini shot, at which I said "Holy Sh*t!" (Don't tell my mother I've been using foul language).

I didn't notice any pimples until they were pointed out, and even then had trouble spotting them.
05-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Getting past the obvious and acknowledging the very attractive woman as a wonderful and exciting photographic subject, I am envious at your opportunity to photograph a model with such rich skin tones. Looking at the photos that you have taken so far, it looks like you can isolate and control skin highlights, define shape, emphasize contour, due to a lower level of reflectance off of the skin. I would be interested in your thoughts on this. I would also like to see your future posts using natural lighting. It would be interesting to see reflector placements, and diffuser placement (sun orientation, camera orientation, subject orientation, etc).
On another note, (not saying that you would, but saw that someone did ask) please do not photoshop your results in an attempt to achieve the fake, unrealistic, commercially saturated available images that we are drowning in today. Real is beautiful, she is beautiful. If its not broken, don't fixed it.

Nice job here Hamidlmt.
05-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey everyone... sorry for not responding sooner... I just returned from a 5 day road trip of Oregon... just me and the dogs and the van. I'll post shots later.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Raw beauty well captured Hamid.

Loooove the lighting in 2 and 4, but they're all great - she should be very happy with your work.

Isn't it a hard life being a model photographer.....
Oh yes... it's a really tough life! ha! Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I scrolled slowly down the photos.....until I got to the bikini shot, at which I said "Holy Sh*t!" (Don't tell my mother I've been using foul language).

I didn't notice any pimples until they were pointed out, and even then had trouble spotting them.
I won't tell your mother... but, Santa Claus hears all! More bikini shots to come... we're set to do another shoot tomorrow at the Sandy River.

QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
Getting past the obvious and acknowledging the very attractive woman as a wonderful and exciting photographic subject, I am envious at your opportunity to photograph a model with such rich skin tones. Looking at the photos that you have taken so far, it looks like you can isolate and control skin highlights, define shape, emphasize contour, due to a lower level of reflectance off of the skin. I would be interested in your thoughts on this. I would also like to see your future posts using natural lighting. It would be interesting to see reflector placements, and diffuser placement (sun orientation, camera orientation, subject orientation, etc).
On another note, (not saying that you would, but saw that someone did ask) please do not photoshop your results in an attempt to achieve the fake, unrealistic, commercially saturated available images that we are drowning in today. Real is beautiful, she is beautiful. If its not broken, don't fixed it.

Nice job here Hamidlmt.
I felt Ndey was a great find with such amazing skin tones.

Light control in the studio setting (i.e. the garage) has been greatly increased by the use of louvers on the softbox and grids on the Octodome. It keeps the light very directional. Without them, I'd often blow out highlights. Ndey skin tones helped with that too... though, I had to use a bit of a slower shutter speed than what I'm used to. That's the problem with continuous light... just can't up the power like with strobes.

I rarely Photoshop out blemishes, unless it's a very obvious thing... or, if the model requests it. I like to keep my captures as "in-camera" as possible. I generally only gives the left and right sliders in Levels and squeeze and call it good.

Appreciate your thoughts!