Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Silverton, a town built with Gold
Posted By: Bob Harris, 08-25-2014, 09:33 PM

Located at 9,300' and surrounded by mountain peaks of 14,000' in the heart of southwest Colorado’s San Juan Mountain's high country. Silverton was platted in 1874 when gold was discovered in 1860, and after negotiations with the Ute Indians, the area was opened for settlement. Mining reached its peak between 1900 and 1912, and the population of San Juan County peaked at 5,000, with Silverton as the metropolis of the district. Hundreds of millions of dollars of gold and silver were extracted from the mines. The last operating mine, Sunnyside Gold, closed in 1991. We spent hours roaming the town and back country and recommend this Old West town for a visit due to the residents maintaining the old town history and buildings as they once were.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 2,297
08-30-2014, 04:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I like the colors rendering. It look like an HDR and pushed quite some noise, but that an interresting rendering!

How did you made it?

08-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I like the colors rendering. It look like an HDR and pushed quite some noise, but that an interresting rendering!

How did you made it?
I'm not sure exactly what your asking about, all of the photos or one in particular?
08-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bob, what a wonderful and interesting series of a place that I have never been to, thanks for taken us along.
08-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Bob, what a wonderful and interesting series of a place that I have never been to, thanks for taken us along.
thanks Heinrich, the recent photo of the RR tracks leave Durango and come up to Silverton. At least one train each day travels this route.

08-31-2014, 02:09 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Wow, that second image looks like a hobbyists model railway layout, not real life.
08-31-2014, 03:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I'm not sure exactly what your asking about, all of the photos or one in particular?
All in general: they are very vivid, ultra constrasty with intense colors
08-31-2014, 04:40 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Wow, that second image looks like a hobbyists model railway layout, not real life.
Didn't that turn out cool, that's exactly what I thought. That train came by our campground earlier in the morning, love those old steam locomotives.

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 04:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
All in general: they are very vivid, ultra constrasty with intense colors
I wish I had a set editing pattern, I just play around, move sliders and click on buttons and if it looks good I'm done. Most of my editing is done in camera with filters and modes, so much easier for a lazy person like me. I do like a bit of contrast as you noted.

09-02-2014, 11:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
First Baptist. John and Mary Hough went there and raised the $ for the stained glass windows. He built the Hough Block building kitty corner from the First Merchants Bank, had a General Store with his b-in-l, the Opera House and his house still stands today (wouldn't we like to own that!! - but NOT FOR SALE). They're buried in the Odd Fellows Cemetery outside of the town proper. We restored / repaired the gravesite in 1998. On that trip we came up through Crede and Durango, across the Continental Divide and over Slumgullion Pass. 5 miles of 7.5% grade downhill in a loaded Suburban!!

Pretty neat history and my wife has some interesting source materials and inheritances from them. This area survives in part because the people who own or lease most of the land and run cattle preserve it.
I thought this photo might bring back some memories for you.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio A40  Photo