Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
the birth and death of my 50mm
Posted By: Judy112, 08-26-2014, 03:37 PM

I was so excited to finally be able to afford a 50mm prime lens after only having the 18-200 that I was on my K-30 when I bought it.
Now I could really explore my camera and expand myself in my hobby!
Unfortunately I never got use it and this is why......

A friend and I decided to go on a dawn shoot to the local ocean baths, somewhere I had wanted to shoot for some time.
On the way I saw the full moon setting golden over the lake ...
Wow! I had to stop and capture it but gosh, I would have to be quick....
I made it .....back into the car and off to the beach.....
Run down to the baths, phew, just in time, the sky popped all colours...the best pre-dawn I have seen.....
It was great, I took several pics from my first location and then turned to grab my bag and move...
In my rush to not miss the colour, I hadn't zipped my bag
My bag flipped open and my 50mm flipped over the edge into the ocean..............
I could see it, but it was wedged deep between rocks in the rapidly rising tide and rough seas...
I would have to wait for the tide to recede, although I knew it was not going to be recoverable ...
After 3 hours, the water had receded and my friend retrieved my lens ...full of salty water and sand .....so sad

8 months of dreaming and saving and it all disappeared in a moment of lapse of concentration ...damn!
I learnt a valuable lesson that day, but all at the expense of my 50mm which I would dearly love to replace, but it wasn't going to be in the foreseeable future until I saw this competition....fingers crossed and hopeful

The pic is one that I took that day...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Views: 696
07-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Judy112 Quote
I was so excited to finally be able to afford a 50mm prime lens after only having the 18-200 that I was on my K-30 when I bought it.
Now I could really explore my camera and expand myself in my hobby!
Unfortunately I never got use it and this is why......

A friend and I decided to go on a dawn shoot to the local ocean baths, somewhere I had wanted to shoot for some time.
On the way I saw the full moon setting golden over the lake ...
Wow! I had to stop and capture it but gosh, I would have to be quick....
I made it .....back into the car and off to the beach.....
Run down to the baths, phew, just in time, the sky popped all colours...the best pre-dawn I have seen.....
It was great, I took several pics from my first location and then turned to grab my bag and move...
In my rush to not miss the colour, I hadn't zipped my bag
My bag flipped open and my 50mm flipped over the edge into the ocean..............
I could see it, but it was wedged deep between rocks in the rapidly rising tide and rough seas...
I would have to wait for the tide to recede, although I knew it was not going to be recoverable ...
After 3 hours, the water had receded and my friend retrieved my lens ...full of salty water and sand .....so sad

8 months of dreaming and saving and it all disappeared in a moment of lapse of concentration ...damn!
I learnt a valuable lesson that day, but all at the expense of my 50mm which I would dearly love to replace, but it wasn't going to be in the foreseeable future until I saw this competition....fingers crossed and hopeful

The pic is one that I took that day...
This is great!
07-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My condolences on your loss.

My loss was similar, but less dramatic and less costly. My last film camera was a Canon EF-mount camera, so I decided to make a Canon Rebel my first digital camera since I could use all my old lenses on it .... because of the crop-factor, the 28-80mm kit lens I had used for eleven years on my film camera had lower utility on my Rebel, but I carried it with me anyway since it didn't weigh very much and there was room for it in my bag. One day, just after changing from the 28-80 lens to my 70-300 lens, I tripped over a root and fell to the ground. I wasn't hurt, but I hadn't fastened my camera bag, and I watched as the 28-80 lens slowly rolled down into a ravine. I hope Otis's relatives found some good use for it - perhaps they cold start fires with it.
07-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Around 3 years ago my DA 50mm f1.8 flipped out of the camera bag and rolled down a steep brush covered hill never to be seen again . This outing provided a couple of photos and taught me a lesson . Thanks for the reminder .