Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Pentax K-01 Renews Passion for Photography
Posted By: Pentaxaholic, 08-27-2014, 09:01 AM

My transition from film-digital has been frustrating and challenging. My 1st dslr was Minolta's 7D pro camera (chosen because I had pro film lenses to fit). Shortly after purchase, the camera refused to recognize cards. Although under warranty,Minolta just sold technology to Sony. Repair shop said neither would acknowledge responsibility to honor warranty. I then shelved the expensive camera and bought a Sony Alpha. Shortly after warranty expired, it started shifting pictures to right and left of images were black. I got frustrated and put down the cameras for 3-4 years!

Recently, a friend asked me to teach photography locally.With borrowed equipment, I started offering free lessons to public. Shortly after I started the photography club, before I could buy another Sony Alpha, ALL of my Minolta/Sony gear was stolen (luckily my old manual pentax camera's and lenses-were stored in a different place). I almost threw in the towel, but started searching Pentax online and discovered I could use my legacy glass (YEAH) with the Pentax K-01 and DSLR's. Not having money to invest in all new gear (and reluctant to spend from past experience with faulty camera's) I decided to try the K-01. This camera makes me glad that my gear was stolen! I had never discovered the Pentax had DSLRs if it had not! The focus peaking really helps as I struggle (poor eyesight from severe neck injury in auto accident) with my manual lenses to achieve tack sharp focus.

I LOVE THE IMAGE QUALITY and the ability to push the ISO! Thanks to Ricoh, I now have a renewed ZEST for photography PROUDLY taking my "yellow brick" every where I go! My goal is to save up enough cash for a Pentax K-3 as I feel the viewfinder will really help me. (I'll be reluctant to part with the "yellow brick" though)

---------- Post added 08-27-14 at 11:07 AM ----------

This is a macro (about 2x life size) shot of a hummingbird moth. They are very swift moving, they can pollinate a whole bush in minutes! Taken with an A series (semi manual) manual focus lens.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Views: 767
12-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still use my K-01's a lot. They compliment my K-3 for sure. Many times, I leave the house with only a K-01 and XS40, and I'm really rather well equipped.
12-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the world of Pentax. The ability to use the older, fabulous Pentax glass is a terrific advantage to going with Pentax cameras. You'll never look back once you make the move. Nice capture.
12-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks! I have purchased the K3 since this picture was taken, and LOVE that TOO!

12-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The Q and K-01 was my first foray into the world of Pentax back in 2012 and I'm still here. I've since gotten the Q7 and the K-3 but I still love all three of my K-01s and my original Q. If you can manage it I'd recommend saving up for some nice DA or FA Limiteds to pair up with your yellow brick. Some small Pentax primes and the K-01 make for a really killer combo!
12-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
The Q and K-01 was my first foray into the world of Pentax back in 2012 and I'm still here. I've since gotten the Q7 and the K-3 but I still love all three of my K-01s and my original Q. If you can manage it I'd recommend saving up for some nice DA or FA Limiteds to pair up with your yellow brick. Some small Pentax primes and the K-01 make for a really killer combo!
I do have some smaill Pentax primes and they do make a killer combo. I have yet to get my hands on DA or FA Limiteds though! Maybe some day!