Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Night Time
Posted By: kjg48359, 08-30-2014, 01:38 PM

I am a recent "Pentaxian" convert and I just love my K3 (I pre-ordered mine).

I've had a interest in photography going back for years. I actually ran the dark room at my college in the '80's (so now you know how old I am). So years ago I ended up with a Nikon/Nikkormat F10 (really basic) and a Canon AE1 with several accessories.

Fast forward, and as we've left film behind, I've been trying to convince the family that a better camera is needed to capture the final memories of my daughter's last year as a cheerleader. As I started to research, I realized that the AE1 lens were essentially "dead" and wouldn't work with modern cameras leaving me free to research a whole new system.

Somehow, I saw a blurb somewhere about this new camera that hadn't been released, and as I researched the more I found, the more I liked what I saw. Weather sealing? That was huge. Better temperature range, in camera image stabilization etc just made it sound so much better. So now starts the building of the new 'system.' The 18-135 is great for day light, but slow at night time (and high school track and field lighting isn't always the best as any parent who's tried to take pictures knows). My other lens is a Tameron 70-200 F2.8 for indoor competitive season.

But there's something else that happens when you show up with a camera and your daughter's team know you're there for them.

They never get enough of themselves. And that's when you realize that it isn't just a few 'cute' pictures you're capturing. But their lives. I'd love to obtain not only a faster lens, but a couple of good prime lenses just for the extra sharpness they offer. From poised shots with their friends, to team shots, to "senior" portraits with the teens and their families, to be able to offer them a priceless capture of that moment in their lives becomes essential. Last year all individual shots were made with my 'bridge' camera long before I heard about the K3.

From the first game last week, I have over 300 images. Not all worth keeping of course, and some technically fail pretty largely. I love the TAV setting, but sometimes forgot to dial back the shutter speed for some of the group shots and the noise is very high. But I'll start learning what works and what settings to use over the next couple of weeks.

For this submission, I'm going to select one of those more difficult shots. There's some cropping, but the lighting is difficult (and being right in front of the crowd, I won't use the flash until the end of the game). Between action and group shots there is never enough clarity!

(I've got some pictures out on Flicker at https://www.flickr.com/photos/108915392@N04/, but some of the action shots from last year's indoor season came out quite well. I can't tell you how invaluable this forum has been in learning features that are there to assist the photographer in learning your equipment! )

Once the photographic bug hits, you just want to dig in more and more. And thanks Crewl1 for inspiring us to share!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 525
08-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good use of natural lighting - better than you could get with flash, because it wouldn't have gotten the background context