Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Church Photo - Updated
Posted By: NLAlston, 01-23-2007, 02:13 AM

I couldn't sleep, and went out (just a few moments ago) to try my hand at some night shots. My focus was on playing around with settings, without flash, to see how I would fare with my captures. I wasn't really going for 'composition' (indeed, there are a number of visual distractions in this uploaded photo, such as the firebox in the forefront, as well as the right-side building) but for lighting, mainly.

I converted it to B/W, as well as giving it a one-step sharpening in Picasa, and would like to know what you think of it.

Last edited by NLAlston; 07-09-2007 at 03:12 AM.
Views: 2,845
01-23-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NLAlston Quote
I converted it to B/W, as well as giving it a one-step sharpening in Picasa, and would like to know what you think of it.

I rather like it - and I think the composition is fairly nice, firebox notwithstanding.

What were your settings for this shot? I think you said you did not use the flash.

Will
01-23-2007, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
What were your settings for this shot? I think you said you did not use the flash.

Will
Hi Will,

And thanks for viewing/responding. That's right...I did not use the flash. I shot this pic in program mode, with my Tamron 18-200mm lens.

Focal length: 18.0mm
Exposure time: 1.000s
Aperture: f/3.5
ISO: 100
Metering mode: Matrix

...............................................................................................

I am really trying to get the hang of things, and don't often shoot in 'program' mode. But I wanted to afford myself a better chance of grabbing something, very early this morning, which is why I did select that mode this time. It really makes me feel good that you liked the shot. Thanks again.
01-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I think it looks great. I have been playing with night shots as well recently. It is a lot of fun and gives some otherwise uninteresting subjects an added drama. Good work.

Walt

01-23-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks much, Walt. I really appreciate that.
01-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NLAlston Quote
And thanks for viewing/responding. That's right...I did not use the flash. I shot this pic in program mode, with my Tamron 18-200mm lens.

Thanks for the tech info. I have that lens, too, but I have not had a lot of success shooting at night. I'm pleased to know it's possible to take something this nice.

Will
01-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot. I do some of my best work in the middle of the night. Nobody to talk to or distract, just me and my camera. I would like to practice drumming in the middle of the night too, but that might cause some problems.

Good photo!

01-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Thanks for the tech info. I have that lens, too, but I have not had a lot of success shooting at night. I'm pleased to know it's possible to take something this nice.

Will
No problem at all, Will. I am going to have to learn how to include the EXIF data with my uploaded photos. I think that someone previously gave me a blueprint for this, but I forgot what it was. Until then, I will just type that info in with my shots. Again...thanks.
01-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I would like to practice drumming in the middle of the night too, but that might cause some problems.

Good photo!
That's an absolute certainty .
01-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to live near Amherst. First in Buffalo (W. Utica St.) and then in Lancaster. A little cold this time of year. The wind coming of the lakes chills to the bone. Beautiful in the fall! Met my wife in Waverly, down near Binghampton.
01-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Has an infared quality to it. With the dark sky as a source it should be relatively easy to clone out the offending building on the right.
01-23-2007, 06:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I like this photo. I don't find anything distracting in it at all. Nice work!
01-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I like it. I'm wondering what the original looked like. I'm north of buffalo near Lockport.
01-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reknelb Quote
I like it. I'm wondering what the original looked like. I'm north of buffalo near Lockport.
Reknelb,

I am sorry, but I inadvertently erased the original photo (drat!!). I will be much slower toward that kind of movement again, though. Thanks for looking.
01-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I find myself erasing alot of images for fear I'll use too much memory on the computer.