Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Sudden rain
Lens: 18-55 WR Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Parma (Italy) ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: flaviopetrone, 09-01-2014, 04:28 AM

One of my first shoots.
Criticism and suggestions are always welcome, feel free to say everything. I'm just a beginner.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Views: 1,531
09-01-2014, 04:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice image, makes you feel sort of sad that whatever had been going on has been spoilt by the rain. Nice balance as your eye is drawn to the can and unfinished orange drink while the rest of the colours appear almost monochromatic (up to the wall in the background.

For a beginner you have a good eye, keep it up!
09-01-2014, 05:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Nice image, makes you feel sort of sad that whatever had been going on has been spoilt by the rain. Nice balance as your eye is drawn to the can and unfinished orange drink while the rest of the colours appear almost monochromatic (up to the wall in the background.

For a beginner you have a good eye, keep it up!
I wanted to focus on the drink left there because of the rain. Thank you very much for your words Liney!
09-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've got a good eye Flavio. This is a fine image. I think it might be improved by cropping out the building at the top. Just my $0.02.

09-01-2014, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
feel free to say everything. I'm just a beginner
The real question is are you happy with image?

Because at the end of the day that's all that really matters, unless you earn you living from your images, then it would appear everyman/woman and their dog matters.
09-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The real question is are you happy with image?

Because at the end of the day that's all that really matters, unless you earn you living from your images, then it would appear everyman/woman and their dog matters.
I am agree, I like it, the "problem" is that even if I like one of my pictures a lot and I think that I couldn't do better (in that specific situation), then arrive someone with "try with more contrast and a little bit more of light" and the picture looks much better! in this way I am learning a lot of things!

---------- Post added 09-01-14 at 11:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
You've got a good eye Flavio. This is a fine image. I think it might be improved by cropping out the building at the top. Just my $0.02.
I will try to crop it and I will post here. Thank you wtlwdwgn!
09-02-2014, 01:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here there is the cropped version.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
09-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like this better. What do you think?
09-02-2014, 07:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like this better. What do you think?
Definitely better about the composition. The only thing I like less is the ratio, because if I use the original aspect ratio, I need to cut the right part of the pic too. I wanted to keep it, so I needed to cut in a more "rectangular" ratio. Anyway, what I need to do is to learn to take a picture without thinking that I have the chance to crop it later. Thank you for your advice.
09-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice atmospheric shot indeed ! I really like the muted colours and that warmth coming from the reflections of that sandy colour. The only advice I would have for the next time is to keep the iso lower and aperture lower. I think the shot didn't need that F22 aperture - F11 or even F8 - would still be good, and that would give you the room to lower the ISO stop or two. THis would improve the detail ( which got reduced from high ISO and diffractions introduced by high aperture setting (above f11 I think it kicks in ).

overall great warm moody shot !
09-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Nice atmospheric shot indeed ! I really like the muted colours and that warmth coming from the reflections of that sandy colour. The only advice I would have for the next time is to keep the iso lower and aperture lower. I think the shot didn't need that F22 aperture - F11 or even F8 - would still be good, and that would give you the room to lower the ISO stop or two. THis would improve the detail ( which got reduced from high ISO and diffractions introduced by high aperture setting (above f11 I think it kicks in ).

overall great warm moody shot !
Thank you for all the compliments. Yes, now I know but I didn't in that moment. I had automatic ISO and I was testing the aperture about the depth of field, I read about the more you close the aperture the bigger DOF you get, so I was experimenting. Now I try to stay always at 100 ISO, changing it only when I can't change nothing else more.
09-02-2014, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flavio, every lens has a 'sweet spot' in that it performs best. Usually it's from 2 stops from widest and from the smallest f stop. A lens that has f stops from f/2.8 to f/22 the sweet spot would likely be between f/5.6 and f/11. You were correct that you get more DOF with the smallest f stop but there is a phenomena called diffraction which causes a loss in definition in the smallest f stops in a lens. Also some of the better quality (read expensive) lenses will sometimes perform better than the lower priced lenses but not always. A case in point is the DAL 50mm f/1.8 which is probably as sharp a lens as money can buy.

Don't necessarily limit yourself to ISO 100 especially in poor light. I often use the TAv setting and set my shutter speed and f stop and let the ISO float as needed. ISO 100 would be preferred but sometimes it's just not practical.

Just another of my $0.02.
09-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Flavio, every lens has a 'sweet spot' in that it performs best. Usually it's from 2 stops from widest and from the smallest f stop. A lens that has f stops from f/2.8 to f/22 the sweet spot would likely be between f/5.6 and f/11.

Just another of my $0.02.
I didn't know about this! Thank you very much... You know, 2 cents by 2 cents your are making me every day richer!
09-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some excellent advice - both the technical details and the compositional tips. Nothing I could add other than keep on shooting - it's obvious you have talent and are skilled in creating an image full of emotion...
09-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I liked the cropped version as well, it removes some of the distractions in the background and keep the image simple. Well done

I tend to find I am the worst critic of my own pictures, while is probably why I constantly strive to do better. There is lot of good reading out there Flavio, just doing a goolge search on a single topic can come up with some good information so if you are still learning try setting up a shot and playing with the settings. Several similar images should show the difference between a narrow and wide depth of field, or a fast or slow shutter speed, and al the combination inbetween! Try searching for the "triangle" of shutter speed, f-stop and ISO and the effects it can have