Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Icarus Dared
Lens: smc 18-55mm da Camera: K-3 Photo Location: boise idaho ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: sqlngtr, 09-02-2014, 12:46 PM

Sunrise shoot of the Boise Balloon Classic. Weather was just about as good as it gets considering the day before launch was canceled due to rain and wind.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 824
09-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice - wonderful B&W treatment and the blast of light really works for me. I can see why Icarus might sweat a bullet or two - I hope he used SuperGlue on those wings this time around!

Jer
09-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Indeed a very fine B&W conversion on a very interesting scene. Wondering about your location to get this great perspective...
09-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Very nice - wonderful B&W treatment and the blast of light really works for me. I can see why Icarus might sweat a bullet or two - I hope he used SuperGlue on those wings this time around!

Jer
Thank you Jer! The beautiful thing about shooting hot air balloons is you have time to line up an idea, not a lot, but enough to try different things. I didn't know this turned out till I got home. What a good morning for me and my K-3!

---------- Post added 09-02-14 at 08:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Indeed a very fine B&W conversion on a very interesting scene. Wondering about your location to get this great perspective...
Thank you Mole....there is an abrupt rise next to the park and that put me about 50 feet above the deck. I and hundreds of other early risers lined Crestline Drive before sunrise and set up. I've known about this for a long time so I had plenty of time to work out where I would be and what that might look like. When they launched I was part of a triangle with the sun to my left and the balloons straight on. As they drifted half of them moved over the city and right into the sun. I thought that might be a problem as it happened but it turned out to be an opportunity and I couldn't be happier... : )

07-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sqlngtr Quote
Sunrise shoot of the Boise Balloon Classic. Weather was just about as good as it gets considering the day before launch was canceled due to rain and wind.
Amazing one!
07-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I've tried to go shoot the Classic again but after getting up way too early and driving across the valley to the site I found it to be canceled due to too much wind. Maybe next year....