Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Clayoquot Sound
Lens: Pentax DA 17-70 mm Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: Tofino, BC 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 09-02-2014, 06:54 PM

A view looking north from Tofino harbor into Clayoquot Sound. We spent 3-4 days here a few years ago and loved the place.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Views: 1,056
09-03-2014, 03:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What a fantastic shot, there are so many different aspects and all perfectly balanced. The red of the inside of the canoe could almost be a seed pod opening up, and the clouds could not be better placed. How long did you sit there waiting for it all to come together?
09-03-2014, 04:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool, I remember when Tofino was the home of hippies and loggers Hows it dong these days?
09-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice image, love the colors.

09-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Very nice composition and DOF. I keep looking for a big fish lurking in the moss!

Dewman
SW Idaho
09-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with the above. Great composition and DOF.
09-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That is dreamy...a great catch.

09-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
What a fantastic shot, there are so many different aspects and all perfectly balanced. The red of the inside of the canoe could almost be a seed pod opening up, and the clouds could not be better placed. How long did you sit there waiting for it all to come together?
Our family was getting out of our kayaks and walking up the dock. My son was first in line and he saw this, and pointed it out to me, and I fired away. No waiting! Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Very cool, I remember when Tofino was the home of hippies and loggers Hows it dong these days?
Thanks Norm. Nothing like Big Sur. It seems to be pretty up market to me, with lots of expensive hotels and restaurants. Not the hippie shabby look at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice image, love the colors.
Thanks Heinrich!

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Very nice composition and DOF. I keep looking for a big fish lurking in the moss!
Thanks Dewman! Never did see any fish around the dock area though!

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I agree with the above. Great composition and DOF.
Thanks for your comments and for checking it out Steve!

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
That is dreamy...a great catch.
Thanks very much Mr. Bear!
09-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Jerry, I couldn't help but put myself in your place when you were taking that shot. Were you a little anxious to get the shot off before the incoming waves "upset the apple cart" as far as the calm, mirror-like water? I suspect a motor boat had just passed and the waves were making their way toward your carefully composed scene. Yikes!

Dewman
SW Idaho
09-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow, the water is so clear!

Did you use a polarizer??
09-04-2014, 12:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Jerry, I couldn't help but put myself in your place when you were taking that shot. Were you a little anxious to get the shot off before the incoming waves "upset the apple cart" as far as the calm, mirror-like water? I suspect a motor boat had just passed and the waves were making their way toward your carefully composed scene. Yikes!

Dewman
SW Idaho
Your question peaked my interest, as I had forgotten the details. So I went backed and looked at the times this picture was taken (and a few others that were similar), compared to the times that the pictures before and after this scene were taken. Looks like I took the last picture before the boat shot at about 6:39:38, I took all the boat shots between 6:39:54 and 6:40:39, and then the next shot was 6:41:34. Enough detail? So I got off the boat and after a minute I spent another minute shooting the boat, and another minute later I was off the dock. Not much luxury composing this one!

---------- Post added 09-04-14 at 12:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by whk1992 Quote
Wow, the water is so clear!

Did you use a polarizer??
Thanks for your feedback! I'm not 100% certain but yes I probably was shooting with a polarizer. I normally would be in that kind of setting so I probably did here as well.
09-04-2014, 02:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Your question peaked my interest, as I had forgotten the details. So I went backed and looked at the times this picture was taken (and a few others that were similar), compared to the times that the pictures before and after this scene were taken. Looks like I took the last picture before the boat shot at about 6:39:38, I took all the boat shots between 6:39:54 and 6:40:39, and then the next shot was 6:41:34. Enough detail? So I got off the boat and after a minute I spent another minute shooting the boat, and another minute later I was off the dock. Not much luxury composing this one!

---------- Post added 09-04-14 at 12:08 AM ----------

Thanks for your feedback! I'm not 100% certain but yes I probably was shooting with a polarizer. I normally would be in that kind of setting so I probably did here as well.
That's what I thought
I just ordered a step-up ring to fit my 52mm CPL onto a A50/1.7. This should be fun!
06-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A view looking north from Tofino harbor into Clayoquot Sound. We spent 3-4 days here a few years ago and loved the place.
Well done, nice shot
08-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #14
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
wow! incredible composition! very well done! love this shot!