Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First pictures! [8 imgs]
Posted By: heff, 05-11-2008, 04:42 PM

A selection of photos from my recent trip to Edinburgh, playing with my new K10D. I'm new to SLRs so any advice / critique is welcome!

A wheel on Mons Meg in Edinburgh Castle

Just downhill of the castle

A paper shop in the new town

By the canal

The Firth of Forth

Sunset at the harbour

Boats at low tide

The Marina at dusk

I think I could really benefit from some more practice (but that's ok because it gives me an excuse to play around!) and perhaps a tripod. I'm really keen to improve so any tips would be gratefully received!

Heff
Views: 2,696
05-12-2008, 04:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I enjoyed your pics, Heff. I spent part of my honeymoon in Edinburgh (11 years ago) so your shots bring back fond memories.

as a fellow DSLR newbie, here's my thoughts on improving your pics - on my monitor, they seemed somewhat dark, especially the last few. I liked the idea of the shot down the steps but I think it would have more impact with more depth of field. Some of the shots didn't seem quite level (a problem I have!).

keep taking pics and post your results!

Tim
05-12-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That second pic is a winner! Interesting perspectivenad perfect DOF control. Nicely done...
05-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

An interesting series showing various types of photography. The scenery are ambient and peaceful. The texture shot of the first photograph impresses me. You show a range of photos that are nicely presented as a whole. Almost fine art.

05-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Really nice first shots, Heff. Agree with Max about the 2nd. But the composition of the 1st really appeals to me.

Looks like you're enjoying the K10D
05-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #6

Original Poster

Thanks to you all for the feedback, it's really helpful to get another perspective... I hope to benefit further from all of your experience in the future!

I've been taking more pictures this weekend in Cambridge so I hope to keep posting regularly.

Cheers

Heff
05-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
Forum Member

they look great I love the bokeh on the second one

05-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very interesting shots mate.. i can tell you have a slightly different perspective on photography.. thats something that is few and far between, keep the images flowing. im looking forward to seeing some more of your images

deeVee
05-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great photos Heff, very interesting to me because I visited Edinburgh in the early seventies, great city. Your first shot is awesome and you convey a great mood in the fourth shot. I may have walked down the steps in the second shot, it looks so familiar but Edinburgh is full of hills and steps:-). The last shot would have really benefited from a tripod, just a bit to blurry. I agree with DV, you have an unique eye, keep shooting:-). The K10D was made for you.
I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath and spent a lot of time in Cambridge and I'm looking forward to seeing your shots of that very cool city. I hope you got some shots of the Corn Exchange if it still is there, we saw some great bands at that place, some very good times:-), nudge nudge wink wink, lol.