Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Submission
Posted By: axelm7, 09-11-2014, 04:50 PM

My name is Axel, and I spent two years learning photography by myself with an old superzoom, while saving money for a DSLR. DSLRs are very expensive in Mexico, so I researched an alternative to the usual brands and I found Pentax, which isnít sold here. After some initial skepticism about the brand (too good to be true), I dug deep and found Pentax to be exactly what I was looking for: quality bodies, a very good APS-C lens range, and the opportunity to use fast film-era lenses. I compared options from many different brands (even mirrorless) and decided to get a K-30 or K-50. After additional months of watching various sites for a decent price, I finally bought a like-new K-50 with lens from a Pentax Forums member who offered it for exactly the amount of money I had painstakingly saved up (job opportunities for a college student in this country are practically nonexistent).

I am extremely happy with my first DSLR but in order to make better photos I knew that I needed to get acquainted with prime lenses in varying focal lengths. The 18-55 lens is very good as kit lenses go, but I have found myself in situations where a shallower depth of field, a bigger aperture, or better optical performance in general would be desired. Iíve tried my best to manage with the limited capabilities of my 18-55, mostly shooting landscapes, street scenes, and more abstractly-themed photography. Prime lenses open up a whole world of opportunities; portraits and low-light are areas where I wish to expand my photography, and the 50mm 1.8 lens would be perfect for that.

I deserve to win because Iíve worked harder than most to learn photography from scratch and to earn, in every sense of the word, my Pentax DSLR.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Views: 672
09-17-2014, 01:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You get my vote. Little underexposed. But good creativity. Strange I find many people with 3 cameras asking for this lens, who can perfectly afford this lens too.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
09-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
You get my vote. Little underexposed. But good creativity. Strange I find many people with 3 cameras asking for this lens, who can perfectly afford this lens too.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
Thank you for your vote! It was hard to nail this shot from the top of a transmission tower, with my left hand out, my right hand holding the camera fiddling with settings and my legs around a diagonal support, not to mention the wind (this tower was also on top of a hill).

I do like to underexpose my photos, the dark tones and contrast suit the themes I explore in my work.