Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

This photo drew tears at the wedding
Posted By: little laker, 05-12-2008, 11:53 AM

This is no where near my best photo, however it'd probably drawn more tears than the rest of my pic's put together.

The lady dancing in the back (the brides step mom) I understand was recently diagnosed with cancer, and the man she was dancing with has Lou Gerrits disease.
So when she realized that I had taken it she really wanted the photo of them together. Of course with a crop.

When I showed it to her on my laptop with a rough crop the tears came pouring from her eyes. She loved it

I'll try a few different tweaks with it, but here's the crop I'm using. It's been cropped to fit an 8x10.

I'll more than likely turn the background to B&W, blurring it a little and leave the dances in full colour
Views: 4,205
05-13-2008, 04:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A beautiful photo made all the more valuable by the meaning it holds for the subjects.

I don't mean to rain on the parade here, but it looks to me like they're both about to fall over. Would it not be possible to rotate the picture a bit to get the verticals vertical?

05-13-2008, 04:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
The beauty of a picture, that's the key to a priceless moment to be cherish by all

Lovely gesture to a great celebration

cheers
Thank you cupic

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
great capture Stu, really well done. I'm sure they'll be pleased with outcome....
ANd thank you axl

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Excellent work on the B&W background Stu. They will like that finished version. I think the other one will be a winner as well. Nice story and a job well done.

At my wedding just over a 1 year ago, my son was the photographer. It was a small family affair and he took a few candid shots of my wifes Mom that have turned out to be cherished by everyone since Mom has passed away from cancer as well. Technically the shot has a fair amount to be desired but emotionally the shot is without comparison. Photos can have much more meaning than we often realize.
Thank you Peter,

I've got to ask you..... would you mind sharing some of those photographs that your son took?
I for one would be very interested in seeing them

I'm sorry to hear about your wifes mom
I hope that the entire family took it well. Although I know that it's always tough.

I'm sure that seeing you marry her daughter was one of the best moments of her life

As everyone can tell by looking when I posted this. I'm having a tough time getting to sleep tonight
I just get too much on my mind while working on some jobs like this one.
05-13-2008, 05:08 AM   #18
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll get the image scanned Stu. he shot everything in film and I'll email you a copy. These things certainly are never easy and Mothers day this year was very tough.
05-13-2008, 05:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Hey, I can't add much t o wait has been said but do want to add my kudos to you. Nice work on Post Processing very creative and it makes the image that much more better. (forgive the poor english skills )

05-13-2008, 05:32 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
<snip>Would it not be possible to rotate the picture a bit to get the verticals vertical?<snip>
I copy and pasted it into photoshop and did it, makes a world of difference... I say if you do that you'll have it complete. Cool shots by the way, and even cooler that you have that story to tie to it.
05-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
A beautiful photo made all the more valuable by the meaning it holds for the subjects.

I don't mean to rain on the parade here, but it looks to me like they're both about to fall over. Would it not be possible to rotate the picture a bit to get the verticals vertical?
I never saw your post earlier. Thanks Mike, I will do that.
I have enough room above and below and still making it an 8x10 at 300dpi.

I actually want to re-do it before I print it off anyways, I know that I can do better

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'll get the image scanned Stu. he shot everything in film and I'll email you a copy. These things certainly are never easy and Mothers day this year was very tough.
Thanks Peter,
I'm in no hurry, that's just the sort of photo which really interests me

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Hey, I can't add much t o wait has been said but do want to add my kudos to you. Nice work on Post Processing very creative and it makes the image that much more better. (forgive the poor english skills )
Thanks Pat,
And your English skills are amazing. I honestly thought that it was your first language

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxbling Quote
I copy and pasted it into photoshop and did it, makes a world of difference... I say if you do that you'll have it complete. Cool shots by the way, and even cooler that you have that story to tie to it.
Thanks Ryan,
I'm about to run out for a coffee, with my Uncle. However I will have it rotated later on today.
I'll just edit my post with it, not bumping this one up since there won't be enough of a change to worry about
05-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

It is grammer however, was never my favorite subject

05-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I love the last PP shot. A thousand words come to mind , most of them have been said. I believe you are a passionate photographer as opposed to a photographer with passion. Subtle difference perhaps but that is how I would describe you.
05-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
It is grammer however, was never my favorite subject
It always looked fine to me Pat

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I love the last PP shot. A thousand words come to mind , most of them have been said. I believe you are a passionate photographer as opposed to a photographer with passion. Subtle difference perhaps but that is how I would describe you.
Thanks Dave

I guess that your right. I am a rather passionate photographer. Which I've discovered isn't always the best for business.
With some of the yahoo's out there like a certain bodybuilder in Vancouver

That wedding gig on Canada Day isn't happening after all, so it looks like I'll finally have a chance to meet you then
If you need a place to say I have an extra room, plus a couch.
05-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Cool Stu I will PM ya the details ...
05-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I agree, that one with the black and white background really takes that photo to a new level.
05-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

exquisite moment......the warmth, caring and love, expressed in this image is unmistakeable, to reflect these type of moments back to the subjects is a special gift that more often than not enriches the life of someone else........your pp'g is right on here and your choices of treatment certainly bought the moment to ' light '....special work stu........FIVE STARS !
05-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Personally, if I felt that photographs didn't mean anything I'd never do it as a profession.

I know that my work has brought joy to other peoples lives, and I'm proud of it
You should be. I'll second the comment about being a good person. You've done some great work. It also goes to show that the subject is the most important part of the image and technical details come second.

IMO all of us involved in the arts (performaing and visual) do what we do because of the joy it brings to others and ourselves. We spend so much time nitpicking over the most mintue details. Just yesterday I was loading in a production for The Houston Grand Opera and we spent literally hours trying to adjust several lighting instruments in what amouted to fraction of an inch. I'd guess that most of us would have deleted this photo.
05-16-2008, 06:35 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Beautiful shot Stu and a once in a lifetime moment that truly needed to be captured and you did that very well indeed.
05-16-2008, 07:20 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Cool Stu I will PM ya the details ...
Thanks for the PM Dave, I'll see if I can respond tonight

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
I agree, that one with the black and white background really takes that photo to a new level.
Thanks Dan,

QuoteOriginally posted by gpaual Quote
exquisite moment......the warmth, caring and love, expressed in this image is unmistakeable, to reflect these type of moments back to the subjects is a special gift that more often than not enriches the life of someone else........your pp'g is right on here and your choices of treatment certainly bought the moment to ' light '....special work stu........FIVE STARS !
Thanks gpaual,
If I get one photo which brings as much meaning as this one has per year I'm a very happy man.
And I would imagine that most photographers feel the same way.

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
You should be. I'll second the comment about being a good person. You've done some great work. It also goes to show that the subject is the most important part of the image and technical details come second.

IMO all of us involved in the arts (performaing and visual) do what we do because of the joy it brings to others and ourselves. We spend so much time nitpicking over the most mintue details. Just yesterday I was loading in a production for The Houston Grand Opera and we spent literally hours trying to adjust several lighting instruments in what amouted to fraction of an inch. I'd guess that most of us would have deleted this photo.
Thanks Wayne ,
And I feel that your absolutely right about everything.

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Beautiful shot Stu and a once in a lifetime moment that truly needed to be captured and you did that very well indeed.
Thanks Chris