Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
This photo drew tears at the wedding
Posted By: little laker, 05-12-2008, 11:53 AM

This is no where near my best photo, however it'd probably drawn more tears than the rest of my pic's put together.

The lady dancing in the back (the brides step mom) I understand was recently diagnosed with cancer, and the man she was dancing with has Lou Gerrits disease.
So when she realized that I had taken it she really wanted the photo of them together. Of course with a crop.

When I showed it to her on my laptop with a rough crop the tears came pouring from her eyes. She loved it

I'll try a few different tweaks with it, but here's the crop I'm using. It's been cropped to fit an 8x10.

I'll more than likely turn the background to B&W, blurring it a little and leave the dances in full colour
Views: 3,636
05-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm still processing the photographs, and discovered that the next one is of the same 2 dancers, at a different angle.

No crop this time.
05-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There was a discussion on another website about whether photographs are worthless. The question was asked, "What photos come to mind when you close your eyes?" The person asking the question didn't believe that particular pics sprang easily to mind, so therefore pictures were inherently not worth as much as great music or writing. I suspect that this pic of yours will be one that will come readily to mind in the memories of the subjects' family for years to come.
05-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tao,

Personally, if I felt that photographs didn't mean anything I'd never do it as a profession.

I know that my work has brought joy to other peoples lives, and I'm proud of it

This is the final product. I didn't feel that I had to blur the background.

I'm finally finished all the processing, and think that I'll get a well deserved rest before I get some printed off and delivered.

edit, I re-did it. Both straightening plus I had some B&W fragments of his suite visible in some light.
Here's the latest, and final photo.

Last edited by little laker; 05-13-2008 at 12:40 PM.
05-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager

Wheelie walker $200.
Dancing with a gorgeous broad half your age... priceless.
05-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Stu, I love what you did with that. The selective &W works very well. Not blurring the background was a good move. The expression on the faces of the onlookers is priceless. You can tell that this is a special moment by the look on their faces. Very nice capture and PP...
05-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Forum Member

what a beautiful moment
05-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Stu, love the selective color one. The others are nice but this really keeps the feel of the event but makes the dances stand out. Very creative!

05-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Heartwarming Stu....your a good person....
05-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

OMG..... sniff sniff

You did a marvelous job on the black and white Stu.. The selective coloring and the crop are just wonderful...

Charlie is right.. you a good person Stu and are passionate about your work and it definately shows in this picture....

Taomaass I totally agree.... why else would they say a "picture is worth a thousand words"... Our minds are not capable of holding all the images that we see.. thus taking pictures of those special moments helps out...

Thanks Stu for sharing such a wonderful portrait...

Kim
05-13-2008, 02:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Wheelie walker $200.
Dancing with a gorgeous broad half your age... priceless.
That sounds about right Ash
When I'm his age I'm hoping that I'll be able to get out of my walker and dance with anyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Stu, I love what you did with that. The selective &W works very well. Not blurring the background was a good move. The expression on the faces of the onlookers is priceless. You can tell that this is a special moment by the look on their faces. Very nice capture and PP...
Thanks Max,
That's what I was thinking while doing the work on it. And it just looked right when I was done.

QuoteOriginally posted by momtographer Quote
what a beautiful moment
Thanks Mom
I don't know if it compares to your work (did I ever say that I like the photo's you've posted so far)

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
Stu, love the selective color one. The others are nice but this really keeps the feel of the event but makes the dances stand out. Very creative!
Thanks Rosemary,
I've done that sort of photo from time to time, and I've always loved the effect.
It's always worth the effort.
05-13-2008, 02:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
Heartwarming Stu....your a good person....
Thanks Charlie,

Please just do me a favor, and don't tell everyone about me being a good person.
It took me years to convince some people that I'm a big a$$hole
(too bad that they don't believe it)

QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
You did a marvelous job on the black and white Stu.. The selective coloring and the crop are just wonderful...

Charlie is right.. you a good person Stu and are passionate about your work and it definately shows in this picture....

Taomaass I totally agree.... why else would they say a "picture is worth a thousand words"... Our minds are not capable of holding all the images that we see.. thus taking pictures of those special moments helps out...

Thanks Stu for sharing such a wonderful portrait...

Kim
Thanks Kim

Now I guess that I'm off to bed, and will hopefully get something called Sleep...... whatever that is
05-13-2008, 02:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The beauty of a picture, that's the key to a priceless moment to be cherish by all

Lovely gesture to a great celebration

cheers
05-13-2008, 04:05 AM   #14
axl
Inactive Account

great capture Stu, really well done. I'm sure they'll be pleased with outcome....
05-13-2008, 04:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent work on the B&W background Stu. They will like that finished version. I think the other one will be a winner as well. Nice story and a job well done.

At my wedding just over a 1 year ago, my son was the photographer. It was a small family affair and he took a few candid shots of my wifes Mom that have turned out to be cherished by everyone since Mom has passed away from cancer as well. Technically the shot has a fair amount to be desired but emotionally the shot is without comparison. Photos can have much more meaning than we often realize.