Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I raced home to get these pics...
Posted By: Quaffle, 01-29-2007, 07:24 PM

As i was driving home, i noticed this beautiful sunset. I rushed home to get pictures, but it was really too late. Nevertheless, i think i got a couple decent ones. The first was taken with a 135mm manual Sigma and the second with the kit lens. Sunsets are always far better right before the sun disappears (about 1/3 of the sun visible). We have a really nice view and see some spectacular sunsets throughout the year.

The main reason im posting these is to receive some advice. What can i do differently to make sure my next photos are worthy of pano-prints or preservation for posterity. Maybe they would look a bit more striking with a frame? Does anyone have a frame script to suggest?

C&C please.
Views: 1,519
01-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was not too late! I like when the clouds are lit from below!! Very nice shots!!!!
01-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gorgeous! Reminds me of Texas sunsets. I, too, like the clouds lit from below.
01-29-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Boy was that sky on fire! I'd be racing home too, those clouds have a ton of texture.

Were you trying to go for a pano with these 2 in particular? The best tools to have for a pano is
1. Your camera of course
2. A tripod
You want to keep the shot as level as possible throughout the panning. Make sure you maintain the same exposure and focal length for all the shots. As you pan, make sure that you've overlapped the previous shot by about 20% or 1/3 of the frame. Oh and do it portrait mode so that you can get as much sky and/or ground possible into the picture, that way if your pano isn't level you won't be cropping out important parts of the picture in order to make it straight.

I'm sure there are others here who are more experienced than me that can offer you some help as well.

01-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
Inactive Account

There is no composition...
More in detail now there is no time, I have gone on "forum" to leave the message, that the nearest two weeks I shall come seldom.

"Erased a hieroglyph"
01-30-2007, 03:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You did well with these, especially as you were rushed.

I find that to do a good sunset, good prep is important.
  1. Scout out potential locations in advance.Get to your shooting location early and set up.
  2. Use a tripod.
  3. Start shooting early and shoot a lot. Shoot a few after you think it is to late. I've seen some incredible skies after I've thought it was over and started to pack up.
  4. Bracket your shots. The auto bracketing feature in the K10 is easy to use and extremely flexible.
Also a good sunset is still has a lot of luck involved. You never know how it is going to turn out till it's over.

Hope this helps a bit.
01-30-2007, 05:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That colour is fantastic

01-30-2007, 07:54 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
You did well with these, especially as you were rushed.

I find that to do a good sunset, good prep is important.
  1. Scout out potential locations in advance.Get to your shooting location early and set up.
  2. Use a tripod.
  3. Start shooting early and shoot a lot. Shoot a few after you think it is to late. I've seen some incredible skies after I've thought it was over and started to pack up.
  4. Bracket your shots. The auto bracketing feature in the K10 is easy to use and extremely flexible.
Also a good sunset is still has a lot of luck involved. You never know how it is going to turn out till it's over.

Hope this helps a bit.
What can i do to improve the visual interest? I think having a bit of the sun in the pic would add some?
01-30-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The color capture is great but Prizmatic is correct, there is a lack of composition to the shots. They could be good backdrops for other photoshopped inserts though.

I believe what is missing is foreground, some real tie to the ground. Years ago in my slide film days probably the best photo of a sunset I took was when I got into a depression in the ground and shot up using palm trees and cactus as my foil for the sky.

Sunsets are, a lot of times, catch as catch can, but preparation and knowing from where you might want to shoot can help you a bunch. Plus remember the American Express commercial "Don't leave home without it" applies to your camera too. Then you are not too late but just on time for the right shot.