Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
After the Rain
Posted By: willskywalker93, 09-12-2014, 10:56 AM

Hi all! Thank you for taking the time to read my contest submission.

I am currently a junior in college studying polymer science. Prior to June 2014, I had never owned a camera aside from my smartphone. After saving up enough money to go on a study abroad trip to London, Ypres, Normandy, Paris, and Rome, I decided that I would get a decent camera to photograph some of the sites since I had never left the United States before. I decided on the Pentax K-x because it was quite affordable and my mother had owned one and liked it. I ordered my white “Stormtrooper” K-x used from eBay with plans to resell it as soon as I got back and use the money for school. By the end of the trip, I had learned to use my camera fairly well, as I shot in manual mode the entire time. After taking around 8,000 pictures during the four and half weeks that I was away, I was totally hooked. I discovered Pentax Forums pretty soon after I got back stateside, and it has definitely fed my photography addiction. I have learned a considerable amount from words and photos from the more seasoned photographers on the forums. I feel that if selected, I would get a lot of use out of this lens. The wide aperture would be great upgrade over the kit lens and would allow me greater flexibility in techniques as I continue to learn.

After much careful review and discussion with friends, I have decided against busy, complex long exposure night shots (which are my favorites to shoot) in favor of this sunset after a rain taken from my University’s parking garage, as I feel the simplicity and minimal post processing captures the heart of nature’s beauty.

Views: 742
09-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wasn't going to bump this, but since it seems to be the going thing, I would really my fellow Pentaxians viewing and considering my entry, or at least sending me a PM with constructive criticism. There are so many great entries to this contest, I am just honored to be among such great photographers as you all.
07-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote

I am currently a junior in college studying polymer science. Prior to June 2014, I had never owned a camera aside from my smartphone. After saving up enough money to go on a study abroad trip to London, Ypres, Normandy, Paris, and Rome, I decided that I would get a decent camera to photograph some of the sites since I had never left the United States before. I decided on the Pentax K-x because it was quite affordable and my mother had owned one and liked it. I ordered my white “Stormtrooper” K-x used from eBay with plans to resell it as soon as I got back and use the money for school. By the end of the trip, I had learned to use my camera fairly well, as I shot in manual mode the entire time. After taking around 8,000 pictures during the four and half weeks that I was away, I was totally hooked. I discovered Pentax Forums pretty soon after I got back stateside, and it has definitely fed my photography addiction. I have learned a considerable amount from words and photos from the more seasoned photographers on the forums. I feel that if selected, I would get a lot of use out of this lens. The wide aperture would be great upgrade over the kit lens and would allow me greater flexibility in techniques as I continue to learn.

After much careful review and discussion with friends, I have decided against busy, complex long exposure night shots (which are my favorites to shoot) in favor of this sunset after a rain taken from my University’s parking garage, as I feel the simplicity and minimal post processing captures the heart of nature’s beauty.

Oh, the reflections!
08-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote

incredible colour! really well done!