Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Bite The Bullet
Posted By: Isbab, 09-13-2014, 03:11 PM

I use a Pentax K30. In addition to the wildlife photography I often take pictures at Metal concerts. This picture of the band BULLET was taken during their concert in February 2014 in Berlin.
Usually I use the Pentax DA 18-135 lens. But with a maximum aperture of 3.5 many concert pictures fail.

Using the Pentax DA 50mm lens would mean:
a) either shorter shutter-speeds or lower light-sensitivity (with less noise).
b) getting sharper pictures (than with a zoom lens)
c) beeing able to make more snapshots.

I hope to be the lucky winner of the lens!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Views: 667
09-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have tried using a 50mm F/2 in concerts and found it to be too long with the APS sensor - essentially I wanted something wider. Generally I use my 18-55 or 18-135 but based on looking back I shoot mostly around 35mm - if you don't win you should look at the 35mm primes more than the 50's in my opinion.
09-17-2014, 03:57 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi, bradshea, thanks for your post.
Maybe you are right. Of course the 35mm lens would fit better than the 50mm lens to the K30. But have you tried to get a good picture from the other end of the stage with a 35mm lens?
Usually I donīt stand right in front of the stage, so there is a loss of light and a loss of distance. I think, the 50mm lens would fit.
09-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Isbab Quote
Hi, bradshea, thanks for your post.
Maybe you are right. Of course the 35mm lens would fit better than the 50mm lens to the K30. But have you tried to get a good picture from the other end of the stage with a 35mm lens?
Usually I donīt stand right in front of the stage, so there is a loss of light and a loss of distance. I think, the 50mm lens would fit.
The venue matters most - I was thinking small clubs honestly. In those I'm often too close with the 50mm since I get there early to get a good table! The fact is that with the ability of modern Pentax SLR's to push the ISO the medium speed zooms aren't too bad. Too bad the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 stops at 35mm - something like with a little more range would be ideal.

07-27-2018, 04:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Isbab Quote
I use a Pentax K30. In addition to the wildlife photography I often take pictures at Metal concerts. This picture of the band BULLET was taken during their concert in February 2014 in Berlin.
Usually I use the Pentax DA 18-135 lens. But with a maximum aperture of 3.5 many concert pictures fail.

Using the Pentax DA 50mm lens would mean:
a) either shorter shutter-speeds or lower light-sensitivity (with less noise).
b) getting sharper pictures (than with a zoom lens)
c) beeing able to make more snapshots.

I hope to be the lucky winner of the lens!

Just the right moment!
07-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #6

Nice shot