Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Entry for DA50 Giveaway
Posted By: JonPentax, 09-14-2014, 11:01 PM

Ever since I received a camera as a gift when I was in grade school (a 110 film camera), I have been drawn to nature and landscapes. When I was in the 8th grade my aunt gave me a Pentax Program Plus with an SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7. I loved that camera, and I loved that lens! While everyone was buying point-and-shoot film cameras with longer zoom lenses, I think that shooting with a prime lens was a very good way to begin to learn how to shoot. I always tried to fill the frame, and the best zoom was getting physically closer to my subject!

After high school I shot a couple of weddings and other events, and my go-to lenses were that 50/1.7 and an old used Pentax-M 100/2.8. I loved (and still love) available light photography, and most (affordable) zoom lenses are simply not that fast. Also, I believe that when a restriction is placed on an artist (such as a fixed focal-length), the artist is forced to be more creative. Right now I have a K-7 with the 18-55mm kit lens. They have served me well, but I would love to get out and shoot with a prime lens again.

A word about the photo I chose: I have always been drawn to landscape photography, and recently I have been experimenting with shooting people as a part of the landscape. This photograph is about the people crossing the canyon, but it is also about the awesome beauty that surrounds them and that they have now become a part of.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Views: 789
07-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPentax Quote
Ever since I received a camera as a gift when I was in grade school (a 110 film camera), I have been drawn to nature and landscapes. When I was in the 8th grade my aunt gave me a Pentax Program Plus with an SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7. I loved that camera, and I loved that lens! While everyone was buying point-and-shoot film cameras with longer zoom lenses, I think that shooting with a prime lens was a very good way to begin to learn how to shoot. I always tried to fill the frame, and the best zoom was getting physically closer to my subject!

After high school I shot a couple of weddings and other events, and my go-to lenses were that 50/1.7 and an old used Pentax-M 100/2.8. I loved (and still love) available light photography, and most (affordable) zoom lenses are simply not that fast. Also, I believe that when a restriction is placed on an artist (such as a fixed focal-length), the artist is forced to be more creative. Right now I have a K-7 with the 18-55mm kit lens. They have served me well, but I would love to get out and shoot with a prime lens again.

A word about the photo I chose: I have always been drawn to landscape photography, and recently I have been experimenting with shooting people as a part of the landscape. This photograph is about the people crossing the canyon, but it is also about the awesome beauty that surrounds them and that they have now become a part of.
A lovely shot!