Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Barksdale 2008 Airshow (with 2nd set)
Posted By: cputeq, 05-12-2008, 08:14 PM

Edit - Second set on another posting, down below:

The airshow mania continues The Barksdale AFB airshow is typically one of (if not the) largest airshows in North America.

This year wasn't the best lineup ever, but lots of stunt planes and the Blue Angels and activities for people (for an air show, at least). The two-day show typically draws about 150,000 - 200,000 attendees.

Gorgeous weather on the day I shot, which was my first ever airshow shoot. I wasn't sure what I should have been looking for, so I kept the camera in burst and shot almost 900 photos. Some of the better ones below:

Pentax K200D
Tamron Di LD 70-300
Photoshop CS3

---------------------------
This shot shows about 1/4 of the crowd. Hand-held above my head and surprisingly not leveled out in PS.

One of only two pictures even close to keepers - my attempt at hand-panning:

Yeah, a few cars were there also

Hope you enjoyed! THere are actually more at my Flickr and more on the way as I process the large number of dust spots from my photos! (my cleaning kit can't arrive soon enough!)

Last edited by cputeq; 05-14-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Views: 2,746
05-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #2

Nice shots, that line of B-52's is awesome.
05-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Blue Angels are a good support act

cheers
05-13-2008, 02:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice pics, but no 3 is my favorite.

05-13-2008, 02:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cputeq, I hope you don't mind... I allowed myself to use your photo and edited it a little. I think this photo is for a wall... It just tells a story...
It is an awesome picture for me!

p.s. If you mind, I'll remove it, just let me know.

05-13-2008, 06:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hot damn... There's not an image there that I don't like. Waaaarthoooooooooooogs And what a crowd! #'s 5 & 11 are wining by a nose, but 3 is really cool (and i like what pentagor has done with it too) Great stuff!
05-13-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

#3 is absolutely amazing, period.

05-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great series cputeq - I love air shows have not been in a long time. You have some outstanding shots there. Well done.
05-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank everyone for the comments :-) My calves got pretty badly sunburned, but I think it was worth it

Pentagor: No problem! Glad you like it, and edit away! I'm surprised I like the B&W as much as I do, as I wouldn't have considered it for a conversion.

Most importantly, I got experience shooting an airshow, so I know a lot more now than before. A few things I learned (many of you may say "duh!" but hey I"m new

1) Just stick to RAW mode. I was fearful I was going to run out of space with RAW, so I switched to JPEG. Probably a good idea at the time, since I was machine gunning the shots, but next time I'll be only RAW. I don't like how the Jpegs turned out, especially on the blue skies. I have a few RAW shots of blue sky and they turn out so so much better.

2) Intentionally shooting into the sun for a sun glare shot isn't as glamorous as I thought (or maybe it's a heck of a lot harder). Even correcting exposure somewhat, it just didn't do it for me.

3) Wait for the low-lying flybys. I was doing lots of shots to zoom out and show the large smoke trails left by the jets when they did verticle climbs, but they didn't turn out as interesting as I originally thought they would.

I was very lucky that I volunteered to work from 7am - 1pm, as I had access to the flightline before the show started -- that's how I got the shot of #3. Definitely my favorite also
05-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
Thank everyone for the comments :-) My calves got pretty badly sunburned, but I think it was worth it

Pentagor: No problem! Glad you like it, and edit away! I'm surprised I like the B&W as much as I do, as I wouldn't have considered it for a conversion.

Most importantly, I got experience shooting an airshow, so I know a lot more now than before. A few things I learned (many of you may say "duh!" but hey I"m new

1) Just stick to RAW mode. I was fearful I was going to run out of space with RAW, so I switched to JPEG. Probably a good idea at the time, since I was machine gunning the shots, but next time I'll be only RAW. I don't like how the Jpegs turned out, especially on the blue skies. I have a few RAW shots of blue sky and they turn out so so much better.

2) Intentionally shooting into the sun for a sun glare shot isn't as glamorous as I thought (or maybe it's a heck of a lot harder). Even correcting exposure somewhat, it just didn't do it for me.

3) Wait for the low-lying flybys. I was doing lots of shots to zoom out and show the large smoke trails left by the jets when they did verticle climbs, but they didn't turn out as interesting as I originally thought they would.

I was very lucky that I volunteered to work from 7am - 1pm, as I had access to the flightline before the show started -- that's how I got the shot of #3. Definitely my favorite also
Good observations I would agree with all of them, my calves just starrted peeling a few days ago from the last airshow lol.
05-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Fantastic! I love air shows almost as much as flying. Thanks for sharing, these are simply great.
05-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

wow ... you got some stunners there and i love airplanes!
#1 are those a huge line of B-52s? can see a B-2 back there, very nice
#3 my 2nd favourite of the bunch
those blue angel photos are super sharp, great work tracking

the F-15E taxiing, that's gotta my favourite!
oh wow A-10s, i've always wanted to see one in person...

very excellent work!!!
05-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow ... this is a great series ... hard to pick a favourite here ... you have done well indeed.
05-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
A few more from the Airshow I finally processed / uploaded....I regret not having seen all of the show, as most of my keepers ended up being Blue Angels. Oh well: