Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
The Forum Works . . . . . .
Camera: Panasonic LX-5 Photo Location: Houston, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 09-23-2014, 08:47 PM

. . . . . . . . . . in amazing ways. I enjoy photography and sharing and seeing pictures on our forum, but much of the fun I derive from this great internet "meeting place" comes from interacting with folks from all over the world: Canada, Australia, Scotland, Continental Europe, England, California, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Massachusetts, SE Asia, Russia and wherever Bob Harris happens to park his motorhome at a given moment. Sunday evening, my wife Connie and I had the absolute pleasure of spending some face-to-face time with my German forum buddy Norbert (aka volley) in Houston, where he was attending a technical conference. Although we've never laid eyes on one another until Sunday, Norbert, Connie and I launched into an uninterrupted, four-hour conversation as if we'd known each other for many years - in part because Norbert and I 1) have Pentax cameras; 2) are/were heavily involved with technology and new product/application development; 3) drive silver roadsters (mine German, his American - go figure ); and 4) are married to beautiful women.

On top of the joy of meeting a long-time forum friend in the flesh, Norbert treated us to dinner and libations () at Vic and Anthony's in downtown Houston where we enjoyed the best steaks I can remember.

In the shot below, taken by Connie, the dashing young mechanical engineer, Norbert, is in the black shirt and the ancient, cadaverous organic/polymer chemist (clutching the big Tanq and tonic) in the red shirt is me.

Jer

Views: 1,540
09-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hey buddy, the Porsche shirt was a dead giveaway who you are, what a wonderful meeting of minds, wishing I was there to contribute to the conversations but I bet you had some good ones.
09-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It always amazes me that people on the forum look totally different in real life than what i think they should look like. Glad you two got to meet.
09-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The coming together of the Handsome Ones................it had to happen!!!!!!!

09-24-2014, 03:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I hope, my journey will lead to such meetings too.
And it's a good, the Forum works .
09-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jer, I am still trying to locate the young mechanical engineer in the picture!
What an enjoyable evening it was!
Thanks again to you an Connie!
09-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll have to admit I find it funny a mechanical engineer from Germany is driving an American car ;-)

Meeting up like that is what transforms a forum from just being for information to a place where there are people you know and like to hang out with.

09-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BlackTalon Quote
I'll have to admit I find it funny a mechanical engineer from Germany is driving an American car ;-)

Meeting up like that is what transforms a forum from just being for information to a place where there are people you know and like to hang out with.

Even more strange: the company I work for is part oft the Volkswagen group (but my work is not "automotive related" at all). And my motorbike is from Japan!;-)

Norbert
09-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Even more strange: the company I work for is part oft the Volkswagen group (but my work is not "automotive related" at all). And my motorbike is from Japan!;-)

Norbert
Sounds like you could be a mechanic for Heinz!!!!!!!
09-25-2014, 05:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

That is a treat for sure ! I have had the fortune of meeting a couple of forum members in real life always a pleasure.
09-25-2014, 05:53 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
hey buddy, the Porsche shirt was a dead giveaway who you are, what a wonderful meeting of minds, wishing I was there to contribute to the conversations but I bet you had some good ones.
It was really fun, buddy. I wish you'd have been there, as well. I chose red shirt/Porsche emblem to make it easy for Norbert to recognize me.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
It always amazes me that people on the forum look totally different in real life than what i think they should look like. Glad you two got to meet.
It sure was a pleasure - I hope I can meet other forum members in the future.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
The coming together of the Handsome Ones................it had to happen!!!!!!!
Hey, EM - had you been there, then we would have had three Handsome Ones!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by zztopd Quote
I hope, my journey will lead to such meetings too.
And it's a good, the Forum works .
It works, indeed, my friend.

Jer

---------- Post added 09-25-2014 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Jer, I am still trying to locate the young mechanical engineer in the picture!
What an enjoyable evening it was!
Thanks again to you an Connie!
And thank you, Norbert, for the marvelous dinner - we certainly had an enjoyable evening.

Jer

---------- Post added 09-25-2014 at 09:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BlackTalon Quote

It was great fun - I'd like to meet other forum members in the flesh, as well as get together with Norbert again in the future.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
That is a treat for sure ! I have had the fortune of meeting a couple of forum members in real life always a pleasure.
Hey old buddy, it was a treat. Had you been there, I'm betting you would have enjoyed the company!

Jer