Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Tonight's moon test with SMC A*1200 ED IF
Posted By: SCGushue, 05-13-2008, 08:00 PM

Those at NYC's latitude will note how high the moon was above the horizon tonight. I had to point the lens nearly straight up on the gimbal to sight the moon. Too much of a kink in the neck to stay at it for very long. The image below was f16 @ 1/30 sec.

Larger image @ _IGP0750 copyMoon 1500sb.jpg photo - Stephen C. Gushue photos at pbase.com

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by SCGushue; 05-17-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Views: 9,579
05-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #46
Veteran Member

It is extremely good, especially the full size version.

And I don't for a moment underestimate the effort getting it focused manually as well as that.

You might want to calculate the amount of movement blur you get with a lens that long, and an exposure as long as 1/30 s, and perhaps try it at a larger aperture and shorter exposure.

However, this is the best any of us is likely to see without telescopes.

05-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Aahhh, great glass is sooo nice - beautiful capture! Makes me want for a longer lens.... well done!!!!

Hmmm, now maybe I should take that Sigma 500/4.5 + 1.4X APO TC and see how that turns out.... of course, it won't be anything like yours!
Marc,

Thanks Marc.

Yes, it is nice to get the good stuff once in a while

You know, I have toyed with the idea of the Sigma 500mm 4.5 EX DG or the 800mm EX DG myself. I don't recall seeing anyhting posted by you shot with the 500... but I would be interested to know your thoughsand see some examples.

I have had exceptional good fortune with the 3 Sigma EX DG's that I use and feel that they could easily get a * rating if they were Pentax A's.

Let me know.

Stephen
05-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
It is extremely good, especially the full size version.

Thanks Chris. Even that larger version is only about 1/4 size if I have the math right... off the top of my head.

And I don't for a moment underestimate the effort getting it focused manually as well as that.

Strangly enough, I have a much harder time with AF. I use manual focus in my daily work so for me it is second nature and I trust my eye more than the AG engine

You might want to calculate the amount of movement blur you get with a lens that long, and an exposure as long as 1/30 s, and perhaps try it at a larger aperture and shorter exposure.

Friends measurbated that one for me (ex post facto) since I don't often spend time dwelling there. 1/30s is the absolute longest shutter speed that can be used at this focal length. Even at 1/30s the pixel movement of the moon is roughly .5 pixels. The reason I shot it this slowly was really to determine whether or not the roughly1800 bucks I spent on a new tripod, gimbal and plates was really effective at stabilizing the image at this focal length. Considering there is still shutter shake to contend with I feel comfortable with the new platform if not poorer.

However, this is the best any of us is likely to see without telescopes.
Thank you again

Stephen
05-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Marc,

Thanks Marc.

Yes, it is nice to get the good stuff once in a while

You know, I have toyed with the idea of the Sigma 500mm 4.5 EX DG or the 800mm EX DG myself. I don't recall seeing anyhting posted by you shot with the 500... but I would be interested to know your thoughsand see some examples.

I have had exceptional good fortune with the 3 Sigma EX DG's that I use and feel that they could easily get a * rating if they were Pentax A's.

Let me know.

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

The Sigma 500/4.5 is stunningly sharp, even more so for it's price, but the lack of IS/VR/OS in the lens or the body makes high shutter speeds a must. One word of caution - lens flare is NOT well controlled. I didn't get the right hood for it, and I cannot even point it near or towards the sun - ever. The FA* 300/2.8 flare control on the other hand.... it's even better with the FA* CPL filter!!!! Wow...

To be honest, I have mixed feelings about using the Canon 40D with the Sigma 500/4.5. The 5FPS is wonderful, but it's truly a hit and miss thing for OOF birding shots. It's not the optimal camera for that kind of photography.

I may post some photos, but the best ones are under consideration for my competition portfolio. Therefore I will probably not post any of those until the competition is finished, since I don't wish to have them online anywhere.... sorry ... However, I did get second place with an image from the 500/4.5 in the Nature category in the regional competition! It's of a Great White Egret about to finish off a tadpole with legs - it's midair between it's bill. It's been printed at 20x30 and dry mounted, and is on display this weekend in Eureka Springs at the Mid-America Photographic Symposium. I am teaching a landscape class outdoors tomorrow. Details at Mid-America Photography Symposium

It's a great lens when the right body is used with it. I'd buy it the right combination existed, but I'm poor now. I won't be buying anything anytime soon, unless they deem my images worthy and give me some nice placings and a few thousand dollars of that prize list!

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 05-17-2008 at 05:26 PM.