Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
First attempt at astrophotography w/K50
Lens: 18-55:3.5-5.6 DAL WR Kit Lens Camera: Pentax K-50 Photo Location: Prince Gallitzin State Park 
Posted By: Auzzie-Phoenix, 09-27-2014, 12:22 AM

Hi there. This is my first post to the forums, as well as my first attempt at astrophotography using my recently acquired K-50. I'm posting a few shots that I took tonight (last night at this point 9/26). The location for all of the images is Prince Gallitzin State Park, in Fallentimber, PA. I used varying exposure times, f-stop settings, and ISO settings throughout the night. All images are in JPEG and have only been resampled, with no post processing other than that. These are in a mix of natural and radiant presets with a kelvin temp. setting of 2600 (helps remove red hue).

Before we get to the pictures however, please note that I received the camera via USPS monday and have not read the manual at all. Everything you see is the result of playing with settings and reading forums for more specific settings range ideas for astrophotography. Most of these images will look similar. I tried several shots at different settings with the same angles, etc... My personal favorite of the bunch is IMGP0126. It seemed to turn out the best of the bunch.

Views: 2,563
09-27-2014, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
hjw

Photos: Albums
Hi,
astrophotography is a fascinating area to play in. May I give you a hint? When you do star pictures you will notice that at longer exposure times your stars form lines because they move. The trick is called "stacking". Take a number of shots with a shorter exposure time and then process them through a program called Deep Sky Stacker (DSS) - its freeware. Stacking reduces noise and enhances contrast. A lot of astrophotography is about post processing. You can then easily achieve pictures like this. Good luck!
Attached Images

09-28-2014, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very nice efforts for sure here, I especially like in some how you've included trees or shrubs. yes about the stacking from "hjw", will be interested to see your continued success.
09-30-2014, 02:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. I've downloaded DSS, just need to learn it now. The only other problem is the amount of cloudy and foggy nights we've been having lately. The lake where I shoot gets a lot of light pollution as well from all the towns around (plus it has lights at the marinas and major areas). Personally I can't wait for winter for the clear skies and the fact that all the park lights get shut off until spring. Astrophotography, and low-light photography just have something to them that daytime shots seem to lack a lot of times. It's definitely fun to see the results of a shot and realizing how many stars there actually are, when your eyes can only see a bare fraction of them. Once I get some filters to reduce the flaring and the moon decides to be up at night instead of during the day, I'm hoping to get some lunar shots as well as landscapes with the illuminated night sky reflecting off of the lake.

09-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
hjw

Hi Auzzie-Phoenix, If you want to delve deeper into astronomy there is the Stargazer's Lounge - a forum which I found very helpful on the astronomical side of things. Good luck and dark skies!
09-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's obvious you have a good eye for photography, and some unique perspectives as well. Hope you are able to put into practice some of the very good suggestions given, and that you'll share your "new and improved" results!
10-01-2014, 02:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I look forward to it as well. I will definitely be posting more images once I get some that I'm happy with, especially once I've had time to tinker around with DSS a bit. It will be quite some time before I make an investment into a telescope if I decide to go that route. I tend to lean more toward panoramic shots, but I'm open to trying just about everything eventually.

10-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Fellow K-50 user here.

I shot this a few days ago atop Mauna Kea. Also learning the craft, so please be gentle.

Best of luck with your future photos!

Last edited by gildedfool; 11-01-2014 at 02:00 PM.
10-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some nice clear skies you've got there. Think you're a bit ahead of the curve from where I'm at in that you've got less light pollution to contend with. Maybe work a little on lowering your iso to get rid of some of the iso noise, but a great shot for sure just starting. I highly recommend getting a remote for the camera, I picked up one of the JJC remotes from goja on amazon and it works great (plus it's cheap). I can't really see most of the stars where I'm at (unless it's a REALLY clear night w/ no moon at all). Of course this makes the live view and viewfinder pretty much worthless so i'll use one of 2 methods: 1.) snap a test shot and see what comes up, or 2.) use a ruler or other straight object that extends past the lens, hold it next to the lens, and use that as a "what the camera sees" guide (this is really helpful for aiming over the landscape when you can make out the land, but the camera can't).
10-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Good suggestions, thanks!