Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Onjha - Film vs. Digital
Photo Location: Seattle, WA 
Posted By: alan_smithee_photos, 10-03-2014, 03:51 PM

I could've said "film & digital" but this is one of those cases where I ended up with a lot of side by side comparisons that - for me at least - illustrate why I like film better. There's just, I dunno, more drama for me in them. Reasonable people may disagree...

Now, truth be told, almost no post-processing was done on the digital images. I basically loaded them in iPhoto, did a little cropping and minor exposure adjustment and posted them. Taking the time in LR is definitely worthwhile (I'll get to it, I'll get to it...). But they look pretty good straight off the card. Just not as nice as the film (to me).

Onjha was super fun to work with. She'd never modeled before but she reached out on instagram, we chatted a bit, and she decided to give it a whirl.

K-5 IIs, DA 35mm 2.8

MX, Voigtlander Nokton 58mm 1.4 SL II, Portra 800

K-5 IIs, Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 90mm 3.5 SL II

Rolleiflex 3.5, Lomo 400

K-5 IIs, Voigtlander Ultron 40mm 2.0 SL II

K-5 IIs, DA 35mm 2.8

Rolleiflex 3.5, Lomo 400

K-5 IIs, DA 35mm 2.8

Rolleiflex 3.5, Lomo 400

K-5 IIs, DA 35mm 2.8

MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40mm 2.0 SL II, Lomo 800

K-5 IIs, Voigtlander Ultron 40mm 2.0 SL II

Views: 3,951
10-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are some nice shots. I have enjoyed some of your other photos you have posted to some of the film threads. I am inclined to agree with you when it comes to film vs digital. There is something about the film photos that has more character and feel to them. I have been finding these days that digital photos are too 'perfect' (that may not be the correct term). Anyways I have enjoyed the photos.
Dan
10-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
and she decided to give it a whirl
Great imagery as usual, I'm most totally digital these days for the "instantness" (if there's such a word) of it.

Tell Onjha from me, that she's a stunning looking lassie and provided gets images like yours for her portfolio, these is a career there I'm sure for her.
10-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thx very much!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Tell Onjha from me, that she's a stunning looking lassie and provided gets images like yours for her portfolio, these is a career there I'm sure for her.
Ha! I agree, she's lovely. She made a comment about the shoot making her feel more beautiful than she ever had, which warmed my heart.

10-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Superb shots.. and that portra 800 looks to be absolutely stunning. I also liked the rolleiflex shot - something about it that made me stop. Also your shots of her lying on the ground - somehow perfectly matched the natural expression in her eyes.. Great session, very tasteful. I like that it hasn't been marked NSFW .. otherwise I would have missed it :P
EDIT: gosh and that lomo 400 and 800 films are really punchy too - I think I need to google them
10-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Superb shots.. and that portra 800 looks to be absolutely stunning. I also liked the rolleiflex shot - something about it that made me stop. Also your shots of her lying on the ground - somehow perfectly matched the natural expression in her eyes.. Great session, very tasteful. I like that it hasn't been marked NSFW .. otherwise I would have missed it :P
EDIT: gosh and that lomo 400 and 800 films are really punchy too - I think I need to google them
Thx much. Re: the medium format, yeah, I bought that Rolleiflex on a lark (read: when I was half drunk. eBay mobile app = dangerous) and I just find it magical. I'm not 100% with it by any means but when it hits, it really hits.

This was the first time I've tried the Lomo badged 120 film. Couldn't believe how good it looks! Not sure it will be consistent like Kodak or Fuji (quality control is really sketchy, I think) but it really worked this time. And that's also the best result I've ever had with Lomo 800. Part of that may be the MX: this is the first time I've shot it since getting it CLA'd (thanks Camera Techs. They also did a nice job with the Rollei). The other part is that, rather than get it developed and scanned at the drugstore I took it to Panda Lab, the best lab in town (imo).

And yeah, I should hope these aren't considered NSFW. It would be truly depressing if these qualified. I probably will be posting a follow up thread that I'll flag NSFW, but these seem safe.

Last edited by alan_smithee_photos; 10-03-2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling error
10-04-2014, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
Thx much. Re: the medium format, yeah, I bought that Rolleiflex on a lark (read: when I was half drunk. eBay mobile app = dangerous)
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who falls into that trap! I've been lurking on your posts for a long time, your portraiture is excellent.
10-04-2014, 04:35 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

which warmed my heart
Your just a sucker for a cute dame.

10-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thx much. Re: the medium format, yeah, I bought that Rolleiflex on a lark (read: when I was half drunk. eBay mobile app = dangerous) and I just find it magical. I'm not 100% with it by any means but when it hits, it really hits. This was the first time I've tried the Lomo badged 120 film. Couldn't believe how good it looks! Not sure it will be consistent like Kodak or Fuji (quality control is really sketchy, I think) but it really worked this time. And that's also the best result I've ever had with Lomo 800. Part of that may be the MX: this is the first time I've shot it since getting it CLA'd (thanks Camera Techs. They also did a nice job with the Rollei). The other part is that, rather than get it developed and scanned at the drugstore I took it to Panda Lab, the best lab in town (imo). And yeah, I should hope these aren't considered NSFW. It would be truly depressing if these qualified. I probably will be posting a follow up thread that I'll flag NSFW, but these seem safe.
I might try that lomo for a change ! And I agree both the camera+lens combo and the better scanning method have definitely benefited those shots.
Thanks for sharing!
10-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For some reason I feel like that she did not "open up", a bit tense. Are you going to continue working with her? I believe your second attempt will be even better. Beautiful girl, and there is so much more potential, imo.
10-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Are you using the K5II as a light meter?
10-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Are you using the K5II as a light meter?
For the rolleiflex? Sometimes I use the K5, sometimes a lightmeter app. Don't trust myself all the time yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Are you going to continue working with her? I believe your second attempt will be even better.
Yes, definitely hope we can shoot again soon. I like the slightly guarded or pensive thing, too. But I know she has a lot of range. Be fun to explore that with her. Other settings would be great, too.
10-04-2014, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for reminding me that I have a roll of Portra 160 still sitting in my camera. Seeing your photos really makes me want to get out there and shoot with it and hopefully get results like yours.
10-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

For the rolleiflex? Sometimes I use the K5, sometimes a lightmeter app. Don't trust myself all the time yet.
I use one for my strobe work on film. It works out fine. But with the more delicate window light you're using, I was just wondering how well it would work under those conditions and it looks pretty good.

I have a hard time scanning color negative film. The darn scanning software doesn't have profiles for any new films. But nevertheless one thing I noticed between my digital and color film is reproducing a neutral grey. I see it in your examples too.