Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Stunners
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 10-04-2014, 05:11 AM

It was just my day for "Stunners", just look at the breeks on this lassie.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 10-04-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Views: 2,745
07-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There isn't a location within 300 miles I could attempt an image like that. And possibly not even then. Old buildings = great photo ops. Those of us who live in "the new world" live in photo op impoverished environments for that type of photo. And the American have a 100 year head start on us Canadians, in terms of ever having them in the future.
With "deferred maintenance", we may stretch out that lead.

07-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
With "deferred maintenance", we may stretch out that lead.
In most cases deferred maintenance means "We are waiting until the building is so bad only a complete tear down will be cost effective. We are looking for a developer who will be interested in the property when that happens."
07-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #33
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Old buildings = great photo ops
By our standards this building is pretty recent... St Giles' Cathedral, Edinburgh, construction only started in 1871.
07-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #34
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
"deferred maintenance"
That sounds like a buzz speak for "nothing happens"...

07-24-2018, 12:11 PM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
In most cases deferred maintenance means "We are waiting until the building is so bad only a complete tear down will be cost effective. We are looking for a developer who will be interested in the property when that happens."
See I was right... "nothing happens".
07-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #36
Pentaxian

And a lot of our cities, especially the older ones like Detroit, have places that would provide wonderful photographic opportunities {if you're willing to take your life in your hands}

Last edited by reh321; 07-24-2018 at 02:15 PM.
07-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
By our standards this building is pretty recent... St Giles' Cathedral, Edinburgh, construction only started in 1871.
That's 4 years after the birth of Canada in 1867. My first log house, an old settler home was built in 1866, so I've lived in a structure that old. 300 foot long squared 12 inch beams stacked to make a log house with dovetailed corners. Probably cut right on the property. There are no trees like that anywhere near there anymore. All farms now.

07-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #38
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
if you're willing to take your life in your hands
What are your suggesting here...
07-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #39
Pentaxian

That's 4 years after the birth of Canada in 1867. My first log house, an old settler home was built in 1866, so I've lived in a structure that old. 300 foot long squared 12 inch beams stacked to make a log house with dovetailed corners. Probably cut right on the property. There are no trees like that anywhere near there anymore. All farms now.
If Canada was settled the way the US was, one way of clearing land for farming was to cut down trees that could be turned into housing; after the housing was built, any trees still "in the way" were burned as fuel to warm the housing. I forget the exact year, but around 1880 was the first year that coal was the main source of energy in the US - and that was true only because they were largely done with clearing land so they had to look for something else to burn.

{this has nothing to do with the photo, but does get it back on page 1}
07-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #40
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's 4 years after the birth of Canada in 1867
Oops correction... the original structure was 1126, much of the restoration work was carried out in 1871 onwards.
07-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Oops correction... the original structure was 1126, much of the restoration work was carried out in 1871 onwards.
My native ancestors were here then, but probably were still Aztecs in Mexico. They never got around to stone buildings after they moved north.
07-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #42
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
They never got around to stone buildings after they moved north.
Aye the stone was too heavy for the carry hand luggage.
07-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #43
Pentaxian

What are your suggesting here...
We have a violence issue, which is called a "gun crisis".
07-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #44
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
We have a violence issue, which is called a "gun crisis".
Luckily no such issues this side of the puddle... only the Claymore wielding variety here.
07-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Luckily no such issues this side of the puddle... only the Claymore wielding variety here.
But it means that a prudent person in this country should ask the question "how unsafe is it?" before chasing a scene. For years, when we visited my in-laws in Brooklyn, NY, I would hear a "siren call" from the interesting old train station in downtown Newark, NJ .... but I still don't have a photo of it because most sane citizens avoid the entire city of Newark. We drive through Detroit once a year, but only because it is the only reasonable way to get to the north shore of Lake Erie, and Pt. Pelee NP, which is a birding Nirvana {and my wife is interested in birds}